help! :)

Thread: help! :)

Weis316 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default help! :)

My oldest is 5 and I have started her on the 1st grade curriculum and she seems to really like it. However I don't feel like I have a good handle on everything she is supposed to be doing with time4learning, such as how many activities to do a day, what order to do them in.. Should I do a little of each subject every day or stay on one until it's done?
    And where do the LA's come in? Do they correspond to the activities or are they seperate? I've already reviewed the help section, FAQ's, lesson plans, "Help Getting Started" section, etc, multiple times.

I really like what I'm seeing with this program and think the potential is there, I just feel like it's disjointed and scattered. Is it just me? I hope so!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Welcome!

Time4Learning is intentionally very flexible. Most people grew up with a one-size-fits-all approach to learning, so it can be difficult to wrap your brain around the idea that there are THOUSANDS of "right" ways to do this.

The order in which your student completes subjects each day doesn't matter in the least. Most people do a little of each subject each day, or alternate between math one day and language arts the next.

Use the lesson plans to determine how many activities there are in a subject. If you are doing a little of each subject each day, divide the number of lesson activities in each subject by the number of days your student will work during the school year to get an idea of how many activities she needs to do each day.

In first grade, science and social studies are supplemental, but the first grade language arts extensions include so many science and social studies based lessons that most families find read-alouds on science and social studies topics are all they need to complete the curriculum. I like to have my kids do Time4Learning science and social studies twice . . . once at the beginning of the school year, and once near the end. Since there are a limited number of science and social studies lessons, many families do EITHER science or social studies each day.

I'm not sure what LA's you are referring to. That can mean lesson activities, language arts, etc.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!