Help :(

Thread: Help :(

smjlfn is offline Junior Member

Default Help :(

I have two daughters taking the Social studies and Science and they are both struggling. One is in Seventh and one in Sixth. The seventh grader is taking sixth grade science and and seventh grade Social Study. How can I teach them or help them. They keep flunking and they said that what they are doing on their lessons aren't on the test. We are all struggling. To the point of tears and ready to give up!!! Please if you can help with suggestions please let me know.
    Sharon
    [email protected]

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I heard something similar from my extra student at the beginning of this year. Cut and paste the activity/lesson into a word doc and print it out. Then sit with them while they take the quiz. Help them find the answer in the printed lessons. After this cut and paste the next lesson into a word doc and go through taking out key words and have them fill in the blanks as they read. Let them use this and take the quiz independently, but still with you sitting there.

Reading for pleasure and reading to learn information are very different. Middle school is a great age to develop note taking skills. So, after you have shown them that the information is in the material have them take notes while they read and allow them to take open note tests. If they know that they can use the notes on the test, they will read more carefully. This is an important skill and they will remember the information much better once they learn how.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Thank you I sat with her and showed her how to take notes. I think it worked she did better on the quizzes. It can get real frustrating.
    Sharon

I tried to cut and paste and it won't let me do it. I can't highlight the words so that I can cut and paste into a word document. I must be doing something wrong. Any help or ideas?
    Thanks
    Sharon

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I have no idea why you are unable to cut and paste. At the beginning of the year I was able to cut and paste grade 6 social studies for my extra student. I just tried grade 4 social studies on my ds's account and I had no problem.

Are you using a PC? IE or Firefox?

Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

some lessons u cannot really highlight and do copy paste...
    but u can use printscreen.

try to test ur copy paste. copy some text here in the forum and paste it to ur word doc.
    if that works then ur workstation is fine. if it doesnt work, then ur clipboard must be full.
    u can clean it by going to
    start > run
    type the word Clipbrd
    hit ok to launch the program
    empty it by clicking EDIT
    then click DELETE.

or...download CCLEANER makes it easier to clear ur history/cache/clipboards etc etc.

Thank you. I will try that. I have a PC and use firefix.
    Sharon