HELP! about to give up
    bridget99 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default HELP! about to give up

Hello everyone,

I'am new here I have an 8year old daughter I pulled out of school about 2 months ago. The reason is she is a gifted child and the local schools will not help. Thier help was sending her to a school social worker who called me after talking to my daughter and told me that after ONLY an hour interview she thinks my daughter has OCD because she asks TO MANY QUESTIONS! and i might think about putting her on a drug

(by the way she went threw MANY private tests with DR's and was DX as GIFTED!)

when i heard this I took her out of school ASAP i was so upset with the school

well I found T4L and I will say IT IS A GREAT program!! but i'm about to give up.

my daughter who thinks and acts like an adult has just stopped doing the work. myself and my husband have TRYED to get her to do something and it is a battle everyday with her.

I'm am also a working mom photographer for a local paper at night and i also have multiple sclerosis I dont have the energy to fight with such a strong willed child that refuses to do any work. ANY IDEAS? anyone else have a gifted child?

she is 8years old and is reading at 6th grade level she also knows things that i myself have no idea how she knows it

but she is NOT 100% genius she needs to learn things but for some reason she has just STOPPED doing things

I'm at the end of my rope I also have 2 other kids that are still in school but I had to pull her out to homeschool FOR HER!!! it was awful how the school system treats kids that are above grade level or even below for that fact

ANY IDEAS would be a BIG help!

thanks so much for listening to me

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

I'am new here I have an 8year old daughter I pulled out of school about 2 months ago. The reason is she is a gifted child and the local schools will not help. Thier help was sending her to a school social worker who called me after talking to my daughter and told me that after ONLY an hour interview she thinks my daughter has OCD because she asks TO MANY QUESTIONS! and i might think about putting her on a drug
    Hi Bridget! First of all, congratulations on recognizing your daughter's obvious giftedness, instead of letting her school label her and going along with their "assesment." Homeschooling is a big challenge, and it can definitely take some getting used to. If I had any suggestions to make, they would be:

*Step back and relax on the T4L lessons. Let your daughter pick and choose the subjects and grade levels she wants to accomplish. Whatever she takes a fancy to within the curriculum...go with that for now.
    *Take a little time and research an unschooling (or de-schooling) approach to homeschool, because a gifted girl like yours may not be anti-school at all, just tired of people picking and choosing her subjects of learning for her.
    *Let her current interests guide what she studies for awhile...i.e. if she's into animals, let her research the animals she is interested in and find out as much as she wants to about them, maybe visit zoos or even a veterinarian, let her make multimedia projects about animals on the computer...anything that gets her exciting about learning again. In other words, not caring so much about the content or even the accomplishment, but that she gets exciting about the learning process itself again. You can supplement with T4L when she is willing, and at her own pace. Then gradually, if you need to, you can add back in some traditional type work as her attitudes about learning change.

Hope this helps! The great thing about Time4Learning is its flexibility...so don't give up yet. Things will get better soon!
    Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/