help with recalling lesson
    lriley is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default help with recalling lesson

My son's weak point is reading so when the lesson is long he often forgets what was on page one by the time he has reached page 8. So for example when he does a History that has 12 pages of info I have him writing notes, however, most of the time his notes will have nothing to do with the questions that are asked at the end. So now my choices are either sit and take notes for him while he reads or print 12 pages of info for him to refer back to. What are you guys doing to help them remember the long lessons? This is really a problem for chapter tests which have many lessons.
    Thanks
    Lani

TravelBug is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: help with recalling lesson

Yes, Lani. I agree with the lessons being a lot of info before a test. I wish there were printouts with each one, because writing answers would be another way for it to stick. My daughter is a super strong reader with awesome comprehension, and still, these 4th grade lessons are pretty tough for her. I have been sitting with her and taking notes. I tell her, okay, write this. We are doing the the Aztecs and split it into 2 days. On the diagram of the calpulli and leaders and tribal counsel and also the one with the pyramid of classes of people I told her to draw this...now put this in each box. Then as we read, she added little arrows with info. It really was much better than just sitting and reading. I will also allow her to use her notes when she takes the quiz. It seems that in public school they would normally spend at least a week considering a civilization, so this all seems too fast. I have to do the same with the science lessons, as well. But splitting up the lessons is putting us behind for the year already. We stick to a schedule and my daughter's head feels close to exploding!

Vocabulary too, seems to fast. In school, the kids have a week to learn, examine, talk about, and draw pics of vocab words. Here, we are supposed to do 3 language arts extensions in a week. That's 15 vocab words to look up, write definitions, write stories about, takes quizzes on, etc. Its way too much, I think.

I'm wondering how we can finish all of this by June?? What if we don't finish it? Can I say-- I think I would love my child to focus on the planets rather than the physical and chemical changes of matter. Would it be okay to bypass certain lessons in history or social studies? I would never do this with math or language arts, of course. No one checks on our online progress- we just have to put in 5 hours a day of school for the state of WA.

So I may have gotten off track, but any responses would be much appreciated!

About skipping lessons, because she is homeschool you can skip whatever lessons you want, granted as long as she meets requirements for your state. I am thinking I may print the pages for him to highlight and refer back to. I did ask T4L if they sold a booklet that corresponds with the lessons but they said no. So it seems he either takes tons of notes and hopes he gets the point or we do a lot of printing. Did you know that some of the lessons have printable worksheets? When a lesson has the word "RESOURCE" under it, you print that out and it helps. There are not many of those though. My son is in 4th grade as well and he thinks it is tough. That is good though because in public school it was all about the standardized testing not whether he actually learned anything. We really like T4L, just need some hints on what to do about those longer lessons. Maybe someone will have an idea soon.
    Lani

About skipping lessons, because she is homeschool you can skip whatever lessons you want, granted as long as she meets requirements for your state. I am thinking I may print the pages for him to highlight and refer back to. I did ask T4L if they sold a booklet that corresponds with the lessons but they said no. So it seems he either takes tons of notes and hopes he gets the point or we do a lot of printing. Did you know that some of the lessons have printable worksheets? When a lesson has the word "RESOURCE" under it, you print that out and it helps. There are not many of those though. My son is in 4th grade as well and he thinks it is tough. That is good though because in public school it was all about the standardized testing not whether he actually learned anything. We really like T4L, just need some hints on what to do about those longer lessons. Maybe someone will have an idea soon.
    Lani

Okay, so being a new homeschooling parent and just starting time4learning this summer, I realize I should have researched the forum a bit more. LOL. My questions above were answered by a little reading--I CAN skip around, I don't have to get stressed or info overload my daughter! YAY! haha. Ok, I am back to loving T4L.

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Lani,

This is a bit time consuming but can be done ahead. I used to make worksheets for my DD to fill in the blanks about the lessons as she read along. I also skimmed the test/quizzes to be sure I was focusing on the correct information. Then she filled it in while reading. She was also allowed to use her worksheets for the tests. I have since moved away from this and now we are trying out Story of the World so DD & DS can do History together. And in all honesty I found the SS boring. I am interested in SS now but when I was my DD age I loathed it. I wanted to try and find something a bit more story-like for her. (She loathed it too! lol)
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

mandiana is offline Senior Member

We absolutely adore Time4Learning's English and Math. Science and Social Studies are another story, especially for my youngest, in 5th grade, who really struggles with reading.

So, knowing that the Social Studies and Science for Time4Learning don't actually go through 8th grade and knowing that we are definitely going to be using T4L through 8th grade for English and Math, I've decided to have her start with 3rd grade and do the the SS and Science lessons more slowly while throwing in complimentary videos and fill-in-the-blank notes.

So you can see what I mean, here's what she's doing this week in Social Studies and Science.

Science

Monday:
    BrainPop Science Video "States of Matter"

Tuesday:
    Bill Nye the Science Guy "States of Matter" Video on NeoK12.com

Wednesday:
    BrainPop Science Video "Matter Changing States"

Thursday:
    T4L Lesson "What is Matter?" with fill-in-the-blank notes
    Brain Pop Science Video "Property Changes"

Friday:
    Another "States of Matter" Video on NeoK12.com

Social Studies

Monday:
    Cosmeo.com Video "Bodies of Water"

Tuesday:
    T4L Lesson Activity "Isn't It All Just Land and Water?" with fill-in-the-blank notes
    Cosmeo.com Video "Landforms"

Wednesday:
    T4L Quiz "Geographic Terms"

Thursday:
    BrainPop Video "Latitude and Longitude"
    T4L Lesson Activity "Where Am I?" with fill-in-the-blank notes

Friday:
    Cosmeo.com Video "Finding Your Way Using Maps & Globes"

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Mandiana, that is very similar to what I do. I love Cosmeo, brainpop, and Bill Nye to complement T4L. You might also look at http://www.myschoolhouse.com for some very nice supplmental online lessons/worksheets. I don't even pay attention to the grade level of the Time4Learning science and social studies. I just include the lessons that go with the topic we are studying this week, regardless of "grade level".

I teach the same science and social studies to all my kids. It's a real timesaver! I might eliminate a harder worksheet for the very youngest child, or add a required essay for the oldest, but they all essentially do the same science and social studies.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mandiana is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    You might also look at http://www.myschoolhouse.com for some very nice supplmental online lessons/worksheets.
    Love it! Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to work right through that science lesson list under free lessons on myschoolhouse.com. It's just what I was looking for. Each one is only a couple pages and I copied and pasted into the word and will print for some away from the 'puter time. The Bill Ny videos will be great too. Thanks for all of your help!