Hi Everyone! New Member...Info & Question
    DavePrime is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hi Everyone! New Member...Info & Question

Hello Everyone! I am a new member both to H.S. and to T4L. My wife and I are parents to 6 children (1 ours, 5 more mine bio, children of her heart.) Our youngest daughter was having great difficulty assimilating into our local schoolsystem and then we had the ?luck? to run into one of those teachers that should be banned from child care.

After months(this year) and all last year)) of trying to get some type of help from the school system, we decided to take the plunge and hs our daughter! Scary idea right at first!

Our eldest had been homeschooling her 5yrd son, and she turned us on to T4L. Best idea I've seen in a long time! We looked it over and signed up. That was three days and twelve or so lessons ago.

Our daughter LOVES it. Esp. the language lessons!

********Okay, Here's my question:
    I am unsure how I am supposed to integrate the LA Ext lessons into her LA lessons. Should I run the concurrently, sequentually or what? Any help would be appreciated!***********

Thanks!

Daveprime & The Crafty Dragon
    "As always I do what is necessary...."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Dave. The core language arts is a complete program. The extensions may be used in several ways, depending on your child's needs. They can be used for extra study on concepts that a child is strugging to understand. They can be used as additional study for a child who needs more challenge than the core program provides.

Some parents do not use them at all. Spelling and vocabulary lessons are located within the language arts extensions in 4th through 6th grade, and some people like to use just that portion of the extensions. If you do decide to use the spelling and vocabulary lessons, take a look at them first. They're quite nice, but are laid out a little differently. A student will work all week on just one lesson activity.

My family is a pretty good example of using the extensions in the way that suits your particular child:

One of my older daughters has always done very well with language arts and I'm having her do just the core lessons.

Another child does well but needs more practice writing, so he's only doing the writing extension.

One of my younger daughters is going through the core language arts lessons so fast that she'll be done well before our school year is over, so I'll have her do the extensions, in sequence, as an extra challenge when she's finished with the core lessons.

And, I have one child who is doing one core activity and one extension activity each day, just because the number of activities fit nicely into the number of days in our school year and I didn't figure it could hurt for her to do all of them.

I hope this somewhat lengthy peek into what WE are doing helps you to make decisions for your daughter.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

DavePrime is offline Junior Member Newbie

I almost have to peel my daughter away from the LA lessons and just yesterday I warned her that if she took too much time on writing out her science noted (she was being pokey) that I would have to cut back on her LA lessons.

The change was drastic and immediate!LOL

She just LOVES that "WordHerd"!
    "As always I do what is necessary...."

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

She's not the only one. Look at page two here.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!