Hi there! New here
    MichelleV is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hi there! New here

Hi everyone. I have an 11.5 yo son who will be 12 this July. He has a variety of special needs due to meningitis he suffered as a baby (deaf, behavioral issues due to brain damage, etc) in addition to a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder. We have homeschooled him off and on over the years as we have had mixed luck with the public schools in getting his needs met.

Most recently, he had an incident at school which has resulted in some other problems so he is receiving home bound instruction while we try to sort out placement issues with the district. Despite everything, I am considering homeschooling again since the outcome is unknown with the schools and I figured even if he goes back to school, this program would be helpful as he is delayed in many areas.

I have some questions though about how to proceed. When you click on one of the main areas (math, language arts, etc.) you see several other topics. Do you just start with the first one and work your way on through them all or can you pick any of those?

Any tips or suggestions for those of us just getting started would be greatly appreciated. If you have MSN, feel free to add me to your IM [email protected] or my husband at [email protected]

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Welcome to Time4Learning!

The program is designed to be completed sequentially. Many parents do "pick-and-choose" from among lessons. You are free to use Time4Learning in the way that best suits your student.

To use the program sequentially, click on a subject and then click on the topic designated by a flashing yellow arrow. Continue clicking on flashing yellow arrows until a lesson activity is accessed. Be sure to run the lesson through to completion, so the arrow will start you where you left off during your next session.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MichelleV is offline Junior Member Newbie

Great! Thanks!

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

[quote="hearthstone_academy"]Hi! Welcome to Time4Learning!

The program is designed to be completed sequentially. Many parents do "pick-and-choose" from among lessons. You are free to use Time4Learning in the way that best suits your student.

I have a question on this for language arts. It appears that is the one subject that you do not go through sequentially, at least for 4th grade and on. The vocabulary, grammar and spelling are all grouped together so in order to do a bit of each every week, you have to know to skip around a bit. At least that is what I thought I'd finally figured out.

Here is how we're planning on organizing next year's 5th grade language arts: First there is the day of the week and the specific language arts area and the final number are the total number of learning activities for each specific area. That helps me see how it fits/paces for a traditional 36 week school year.

Monday Vocabulary & comprehension – do one each day 28 & 33
    Tuesday Reading Strategies 28
    Wed. Grammar 30
    Thurs. Literature Extension 24
    Friday Elements of writing. Once completed then start Tools for Learning 22 & 11

I would love it if it was easily sequential but then I think that would make it LESS flexible for folks that want to only do certain topics or concentrate in one area for a time period. My plan is to train/teach her how to find each section and have a weekly assignment sheet so she knows what and how many to do each day/week.

I hope I'm not making it more complicated than it needs to be!?
    Adele

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Actually, concentrated study of one aspect of language arts is quite common. Many textbooks have a "Grammar" section, followed by a "Creative Writing" section and then a "Literature" section. One section is covered per term. There is no reason to feel you MUST have a mix of them each week, although you certainly may if you feel that benefits your student.

The only exception is spelling in 4th-6th grades. It is designed differently than the rest of the curriculum and probably should be assigned at the rate of one list per week, in addition to the rest of the language arts program.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Kelly,

Well that's good to know. I'll have to go back and re-evaluate our schedule for next year. It would certainly make it easier if for everything except spelling (but vocab is all group together too...) she could just proceed onto the next activity...

THanks so much for your feedback. I appreciate your time and will definitely look again and see if I can simplify things.

Blessings,
    Adele