hi We're New

Thread: hi We're New

2CowboysMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default hi We're New

Hello Just wanted to introduce us, My name is Mommy.. Mom to my wonderful boys age 8 and 5.. We are using t4l for enrichment. We kinda stumbled across this learning program when i was searching for reading help for my 8 year old. I'll try to make a long story short.
    Everything was going GREAT K and 1st grade.. then when second grade started the school decided my son was behind in reading.. and i'm like wha? huh? how? it was a shock considering the raves i got from the 1st grade teacher.. So we immediatly kicked it into high gear.. I'm reading with him everynight.. getting free printable worksheets off the internet..all his grades are coming home fine.. till he does the benchmark tests in reading and in my face is a BIG FAT F.. I do not get it.. everything else is coming home fine.. i go to the conferences, i speak with his extra help reading teacher, i make it clear note after note, discussion after discussion.. "Please if u notice anything he needs extra help in.. please call me, write me a note, e-mail me" and i am pretty much ignored.. or i FEEL ignored.. Only through my OWN testing and observations.. i Think he is having a comprehension problem.. and not so much the story.. But more comprehending the questions on the benchmark tests.. comprehending what the test whats out of him.. BUT this is only a moms thoughts.. all i can squeeze outa the school is "reading problem" I guess since they see he is still getting straite A's they don't think its worth there time.. But UHH how about our time..they don't see the time we are putting into his grades at home i guess.. Well anyway.. i was beating myself up over this for weeks.. when hubby mentioned.. We're doing our best and always have.. did u ever consider its the school system failing him? Frustrated.. but now i am finding myself agreeing with him..I know some people might be thinking.. hes getting good grades why are You freaking out? Well i guess its because problems only snowball if you don't figure them out and fix them..my oldest has huge ideas of being a doctor and i know its important to keep him on track with good grades.. anyway.. my short story became long and rambling sorry...Anyway.. using t4L to fill in gaps the school may have missed and to reenforce his daily school work.. Also using T4L to allow him to work his math and science at a faster pace then he gets in school .. (third year doing addition and subtraction... good goly move on will ya?) son has been multipling and dividing since first grade. Anywho.. Moving on.. My littest boy has always been pretty smart.. and he missed cutoff for kindergarten by 9 days.. so we had him tested for kinder.. and she said he was smart enough but she didn't think he could sit still for school (this coming from a very preggo psycologist who seemed cranky and said she had missed lunch.) because he asked for breaks.. first break was a potty break.. second was because i think he wanted to visit the water fountain again lol anyway.. so hes home this year.. and i have been homeschooling him preschool but i started him at the kindergarten level because thats the level hes at....
    ok sorry so long and rambly
    oh and more power to all you homeschoolers!!! I'd love to homeschool but for various reason can't right now..
    p.s. kids LOVEEEEE LOVEEE LOVVVEEEE this program!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Mommy! We have the same name.

Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I'm glad Time4Learning is working well for your situation.

Have you read this article about using Time4Learning for after-school enrichment?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mississippimom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Welcome!

Staci

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

Welcome- Schools and their systems can be so frustrating. So arbitrary. A child does great with one teacher and then lousy with the next. The problem is that the lousy year can leave scars.... Thanks for sharing & welcome to the forum.

sisymay is offline Member

Hi, I have lots of experiences in troubles with public schools. What is the SCHOOL doing to help your child? Have they done anything, or just the usual with nothing extra?
    Schools do not legally have to do ANYTHING extra to help a child UNLESS the child is recieving special ed services.

I LOVE what you wrote here, it's SO true - when hubby mentioned.. We're doing our best and always have.. did u ever consider its the school system failing him?

The only thing I can tell you is to see if he can get help for reading thru special ed services. Like I said earlier, unless a child is in this the school will not usually do anything to help a child.

(Not unless it's to help them pass the state tests so it looks better on the school)

The teachers and everyone are ignoring you because most schools in the USA dont' want to help children thru special ed. They dont' want to put any emphasis on the problem for fear of you asking for special ed services.

I have been a memeber of many groups, boards, chats, etc dealing with special ed in schools and I have NEVER heard of ANY school that does special ed legally and correctly.

The first step in getting special ed help is to write a letter to the district special ed director requesting 'an initial full educational evaluation testing in all areas of suspected disabilities to determine if my child can qualify for special education services as mandated by IDEA law'.

You have to use this phrase or believe me, they will twist out of it any way they can.

He's been multiplying and dividing since first grade? WOW, this sounds like a gifted child WITH learning disabilties. YES, this can happen. A child can be both gifted and learning disabled. THIS is why he's getting good grades.

One thing the school will tell you is that a child can NOT be in special ed if they get good grades. This is illegal. They CAN.

I am in my 2nd yr homeschooling my 9 yr dd after our public school did some horrible things to keep from helping her thru special ed. She is doing SO much better at home!!

2CowboysMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello

Thanks for understanding everyone.. In response, Yes he is in a special reading class called Title one Reading, but when i asked him about it today he told me he hardly ever sees that teacher anymore. I Believe hes not far enough behind to receive special Ed here, I know because i have a nephew that scored 5 points to high on a Iq test and they won't special Ed him.. Although at the same time said he was functioning at a 5 year old level..and hes in first grade (another long sad story about a school severely failing a kid).Also yes i do think hes more advanced in math and science then other kids his age.. he has a real gift for grasping math ideas very quickly and when I checked his portfolio the other day he had done a whole bunch of math and only a few language arts! Guess he just likes math alot.. i don't blame him but i reminded him to do the reading sections first.
    anyway.. nice to meet you all

sisymay is offline Member

If you want to see if he can get help thru special ed (title 1 reading is not special ed) let me know and I can help you thru it.
    Scoring too high on their test is not the end of the story, there is more you can do but they dont' want you to know that.