homeschool for after 8t grade
    hcolyer is offline Junior Member

Default homeschool for after 8t grade

Does anyone know any good homeschool programs for kids after eigth grade?
    HEATHER

littletfarms is offline Member

Upliftingeducation.net utilizes Odyssey learning for 8th grade and beyond. This is only their second year in business if I understand correctly. But, I am going to try it for my older child that will soon grow out of time4learning.
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I prefer a more customized plan for my high schoolers. (Three of my six kids have graduated from our home school.) This is a time for them to explore their interests and to prepare for their future. A curriculum for someone who is college-bound should be different than one for someone who intends to enter the working world immediately.

Some of the things I have used for my kids include Thinkwell video classes and Plato science. They are usually a great fit for students accustomed to Time4Learning.

There are also free things online, for motivated kids. I found a high school forensics course, complete with Powerpoint presentations and worksheets. Fascinating . . . and then you can assign a few episodes of CSI or Bones to make it even more interesting!

I have always used Time4Learning's algebra for my freshmen. It's intended for advanced middle schoolers, but my kids were well prepared for college math. Time4Writing offers high school level writing courses, and language courses for this age should focus on writing.

Don't forget that you can give your high schooler credit for a part time job, music lessons, and sports activities.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

I was going to use Compass Learning with another company, but it just wasn't the same, so I canceled.
    Waiting for T4L to offer some sort of high school classes, but until then we've taken a more customized approach. Here is my rising 9th graders schedule (it looks overwhelming, but I am also listing some of the resources that go with the spines and we may or may not use them all lol):

9th Grade 2012-2013
    English I – 1 credit:

Algebra 1 – 1 credit:

Biology – 1 credit:

Ancient History – 1 credit:

Japanese I – 1 credit:

Latin – 1 credit:

Art History – .5 credit:

Logic I – .5 credit:

Extras

• Karate
    • Bowling
    • Volunteering at library

Robin is offline Senior Member

Oops! Forgot to mention she wants to tryout Time4Writing, which is fine by me! I honestly don't want to grade Composition. I think it's one of the things that makes me the most nervous.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Here's a terrific new site for parents and homeschooled hgih school students. It's called LetsHomeschoolHighSchool.com .

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!