Homeschooling Kindergarten
    CatherineJ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschooling Kindergarten

Hello everyone! I'm new and thinking about homeschooling my daughter who is five and in Kindergarten. I believe by law, she doesn't need proof of education until age 6 (1st grade) Of course, I would have her on learning programs at home, but I'm wondering if I need proof of education at this young age? Thank you all so much. I'm in Hartland WI by the way.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeschooling Kindergarten

Hi, Catherine! Welcome to the forum.

I found this about compulsory education age in Wisconsin homeschool laws:

Beginning when your child turns 6 (on or before September 1) and until his or her 18th birthday, your child must be enrolled in school or in compliance with the Wisconsin homeschool law (see below).
    Exceptions: If your child is enrolled in 5-year-old kindergarten, your child must continue to attend school regularly unless he or she is officially withdrawn from school.

I also found the following, which I will paste with my own comments following a few of the items in blue. I'm not an attorney; just an experienced homeschool mom, so use anything I say in conjunction with other information from a variety of sources.

1. File an annual report.

Every year on or before October 15, you must file a statement of enrollment (PI-1206 form) with the Department of Public Instruction (DPI). This can be done online via the DPI’s website.
    Your statement must state how many students in the elementary and high school grades were enrolled in your homeschool as of the third Friday in September. It must also certify that:

• your homeschool’s main purpose is to provide private education or religious-based (and not to circumvent the compulsory school attendance laws);
    • your homeschool is privately controlled;
    • your homeschool will provide at least 875 hours of instruction during the school year; and
    • your homeschool will provide a sequentially progressive curriculum in reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and health.

Be sure to save copies of all your completed PI-1206 forms. If you cannot prove you filed the statement of enrollment during the years your child was in high school, some employers and government agencies may not recognize your student’s high school education as legitimate.

2. Have the main purpose of providing private or religious-based education.

Under Wisconsin law, the main purpose of your homeschool must be to provide private or religious-based education—not to circumvent compulsory school attendance laws.

3. Be privately controlled.

Your homeschool must be privately controlled. (In other words, a public school or other government agency cannot operate a homeschool program.)

4. Provide the required period of instruction.

Your homeschool program must provide at least 875 hours of instruction each school year (July 1 to June 30). Keep track of your hours well enough that you could document 875 hours of instruction per year. Your records showing your student received 875 hours of instruction for each of his or her four years of high school should be maintained in your permanent records.

Kelly's note: Things like arts and crafts, the educational part of family vacations, piano lessons or music practice, organized sports or driveway basketball with a friend, 4H, Scouts, church or other organizational activities, volunteer work or a part time job, field trips (matching coupons at the grocery store, identifying animals at the zoo, learning their heart beats faster when they play hard at the playground), and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics all count as "school time." Just log your hours.

5. Teach the required subjects.

You must provide instruction in the following subjects:

• reading,
    • language arts,
    • mathematics,
    • social studies,
    • science and health.

Your records showing your student received instruction in these subjects during all four years of high school should be maintained in your permanent records.

Kelly's Note: Although the state requires instruction in all of those subjects, you do not have to teach every one of them every year and certainly not every day. For example, a designated "health" curriculum can be part of your science program, with health topics addressed a few times throughout the year. Many kindergartners only do social studies once a week or once a month, since all they really need at that point is to recognize our flag, be acquainted with how the National Anthem sounds, know what police and firefighters do, and so forth.

Although the state lists the subjects, they do not specify the content of the subjects, so anything that could reasonably be called "math" or "reading" or whatever is fine.

6. Move your curriculum from simple to complex concepts.

The curriculum must be “sequentially progressive”—in other words, as you teach, you move from simpler to more challenging concepts or skills.

Kelly's Note: This allows your student to work at a different grade level in each subject, and to learn at their own rate. This may be quite fast in some subjects and slower in others. I once had a fifth grader doing seventh grade language arts and third grade math.

General Info

You might also be interested in this one minute tour that explains how our curriculum works. Finally, here is where you can find our lesson demos.

If you decide you want to sign up, you can do it from this page.

Beginner Info

You might be interested in our free Welcome to Homeschooling Guide.

Here are two articles I like to offer to new homeschooling parents of young children:

How Long is a Homeschool Day?
    Homeschool or School at Home?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!