Hours needed

Thread: Hours needed

Default Hours needed

My daughter is in 11th grade, she started in public school Sept 3rd and started homeschool Sept 28th how many hours will she need to complete for this year.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hours needed

Hi, kekia. Each state has its own homeschool laws. Most of them don't specify a certain number of hours of homeschooling per year, but some of them do. The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website.

If they do specify hours, remember that homeschool families legitimately count things like Scouts, 4H, arts and crafts, part time jobs, volunteer work, organized sports, music lessons, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking and auto mechanics as "school hours". You don't just count the online lessons.

The easiest thing to do is to grab a calendar with large spaces for each date and jot down things like, "helped cook dinner = 1 hour of HomeEc" or "organized coupons and calculated savings during grocery store = 30 minutes of Math and 1 hour of Life Skills."

I hope this helps get you started!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Rlw1185 is offline Junior Member Newbie

The state of Texas requires minutes to be kept for public school. I am uncertain about homeschooling as we just came out of the public arena a week ago. My question is however, when we do things outside the program such as mentioned above, or go to my dad's medical office, or on a field trip to somewhere that will enhance what we are learning, how do we record it on the T4L program"? HELP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rlw1185 View Post
    The state of Texas requires minutes to be kept for public school. I am uncertain about homeschooling as we just came out of the public arena a week ago. My question is however, when we do things outside the program such as mentioned above, or go to my dad's medical office, or on a field trip to somewhere that will enhance what we are learning, how do we record it on the T4L program"? HELP
    Welcome to the forum! Public school laws and homeschool laws are VERY different. The good new here is that the state of Texas does not require homeschoolers to keep track of hours or days. They do not require testing or notification. They require only three things:

1. You must actually be teaching your child and not just saying you are homeschooling to avoid school.
    2. You must use a visual curriculum, meaning on paper or on computer. That means you can't just discuss things with your child and consider that "school".
    3. You must teach math, reading, spelling and grammar, and a course in good citizenship. The state doesn't dictate the content of those subejects, so anything that can reasonably be called math, reading, spelling, grammar, or good citizenship is fine. Time4Learning teaches citizenship throughout the social studies curriculum (information about our flag, our government, voting, presidential history, and so forth).

That's it for Texas! No one will check up on you unless you would be reported for educational neglect (about the same odds as being reported for any other kind of child abuse or neglect).

For states that do require counting hours, I usually just suggest they grab a calendar with large spaces on it and write things like "walk around the block, P.E., 45 minutes" or "cooked family dinner, math 30 minutes (recipe fractions) and home economics 30 minutes" or "part time job, life skills, three hours". Yes, even in states that require an accounting of your school hours parents can legitimately count things like arts and crafts, Scout meetings, time spent working on Scout badges, church or other organizational activities, piano lessons and piano practice, Little League or other organized sports, driveway basketball with a friend or alone, volunteer work or a part time job, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics.

You can count a trip to the zoo as a field trip, or even a grocery shopping trip. Have your child match coupons or learn about unit pricing stickers, talk about the different colors of apples one week, the job duties of the different store employees another week, find labels in the produce department showing where the produce was grown, etc.

The reports in Time4Learning are designed to only capture time spent on the online lessons. For example, the reports won't show scores for any Time4Learning worksheets (or Odyssey Writer assignments) that you graded. You will add other things to round out your child's education, and members use all different ways of recording that. Since you're in Texas, you only need to record what you want for your own information, although we usually suggest EVERYONE print a weekly report from Time4Learning just in case they were even questioned.

You might be interested in this article called How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Shanika is offline Junior Member Newbie

Red face Re: Hours needed

Thank you for that information needed. I am currently homeschooling and keep track of all of their process. I find it easy to use all of the tools online in the parent section that they give you. It keep track of all their test , lessons and progress. Plus it gives you the option of printing out transcripts.

Blog Entries

Hi, Shanika. Thank you for your comment . . . and welcome to the Time4Learning parent forum!