meredithvidal@comcast.net is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default How do I print a report that calculates my child's current averages per class?

We are new to Homeschool. How do I print a report that will give me her average in each class so far? My daughter is doing the 9th grade curriculum. Are all grades weighted the same so I just need to average them together?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do I print a report that calculates my child's current averages per class?

Hi. Time4Learning provides reports for parent information. You use the reports of computer-scored work . . . along with any writing assignments or worksheets you have graded and anything else you decide to include . . . to calculate a course grade your own way. There are many ways of calculating a score. Even in public schools, the same teacher using the same curriculum may use a completely different grading method.

The scores do average all completed work. It is at the bottom of any report you generate. Be sure you are generating reports from the actual "Reports" tab and not just looking beneath the "Recent Work" tab.

Please let me know if you have more questions about this! You can also use the Search function on this forum to look for other posts about grading methods.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Momma_3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: How do I print a report that calculates my child's current averages per class?

I am also new and was kind of wondering the same thing. Is graduating from homeschool the same as graduating from public?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_3 View Post
    Is graduating from homeschool the same as graduating from public?
    All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own child. Employers must not discriminate against a homeschool diploma. (Be sure you are legally homeschooling your child by following the homeschool laws in your state.) Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in how they learned what they know (whether that's in public school, private school, home school, or any other method). Many colleges, including Harvard and Yale, actively recruit homeschooled students.

When your child graduates from your home school, you prepare, maintain, sign, and stand behind any documents including diplomas and transcripts. Time4Learning does provide templates you can use to prepare your documents. Access these under Resources on your parent dashboard.

If you are used to dealing with public school requirements, it can be hard to wrap your head around the fact that YOU decide what your child needs to do to graduate from your family's home school. YOU decide how many credits are necessary and in what subjects. YOU decide what equals a credit. (In my household, 100 hours of study equals a high school credit, but some parents give their child a credit if they can pass all the tests in a workbook without doing the work or any other creative way to be sure they know something.) Parents give credit for things like music lessons, organized sports, 4H, Scouts, arts and crafts, volunteer work or part time jobs, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics.

Many parents look up various schools' high school graduation requirements and use those for inspiration. Every school will have different requirements. You will want your requirements to be sufficient to assure your child's success in life, but no one will tell you what you must require for graduation.

A few states' homeschool laws require certain subjects to be taught, but every subject does not have to be taught every year and those states do not dictate the content of the subjects. For example, if they require "social studies", you can decide what that means in your school. It might mean U.S. History, Geography, "Community Helpers", World History, Government, etc. If they require math, you decide what math topics to use and when to use them.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is the Let's Homeschool High School site.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!