How do you know which level to start at?
    Ccrespin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default How do you know which level to start at?

Hi!
    My name is Christy and my son is Jack. We are new to T4L and I am just wondering, is there some kind of testing that he can do to figure out which level would be best for him to start on? Also, can he be at one level in Math and a different level in English?
    Hi. I am a stay at home mom of 3. My kids are 16, 14, and 10. My 16 year old daughter goes to public Highschool, my 14 year old son is homeschooled and my 10 year old son also goes to public school. I use T4L with my two younger children.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Christy. Welcome to you and Jack!

Placement testing was not found to be helpful. Parents still needed to "tweak" their child's level occasionally.

Register your student for the level you "think" he is on. You will also have access to one level above and one level below his registered level. If the level he is working on appears to be too difficult or too easy, you can have him try out some lessons in the other level.

You may also try out lessons from any level by accessing the Lesson Plans and inputting lesson activity numbers as explained here.

If you decide you want your student's level changed, you may click on the Change Educational Level link at the top of this page. Time4Learning will do that for you within 24 hours. There is no charge for this service, and you may do it as often as necessary to place your student appropriately.

You may register your student at different levels for language arts and math. Generally, the student's language arts level is used to place him in science and social studies, because of the reading required in those two subjects . . . but you can specify a different level if you wish.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default How do you know what level to start at?

Thank you Kelly-
    That was very helpful.
    -Christy
    Hi. I am a stay at home mom of 3. My kids are 16, 14, and 10. My 16 year old daughter goes to public Highschool, my 14 year old son is homeschooled and my 10 year old son also goes to public school. I use T4L with my two younger children.

ranchgirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

My son is in "5th grade". I went thru all his grades for the first half of the year, in the public school. I did discover that the public school system just barely touched on what T4L goes in more detail on.

Let's use Math for instance. We started at the beginning and went over subtraction and multiplication alot. I would actually look at the 5th grade lesson, and if I thought it wasn't simple enough, we jumped into 4th grade level. When I thought he had mastered it, then we'd jump back into 5th grade.

I did the same for Language Arts Extensions. We had to jump back into 4th grade Grammar and do Parts of Speech. He wasn't grasping the Grammar in 5th grade. He's had to do a couple of lessons a couple of times, also.

I also supplement using free worksheets that I get on line, for Math and Grammar. It seems to help and mixes it up for him. I also get some workbooks at a local Parent/Teachers Store.

I have gotten really stressed at times and have been up late at night, researching, on line. Am I not teaching this correctly, what am I doing wrong?!? Reading and writing in this forum really helps. I just continually think of how hard it would be if I didn't use Time 4 Learning! Just relax and go with what your child is telling you. They get really excited when subjects turn to completed and the first time my son got a Mastered, WOW!!! Made him want to do more.

Just go up and down, thru and across, the grade levels. Remember why you choose to home school and it'll all be worth it!!!

Jennie

Thanks Jennie.