How much do you sit with younger ones
    seashell is offline Member Regular

Default How much do you sit with younger ones

Having played with this for a day (minus a long afternoon at the playground, and some tv, and a lot of dressup, etc), it's pretty clear that my 6 year old needs a fair amount of attention while getting the hang of how time4learning works, since it's pretty different from the various website games she's used to. She figured out the playground just fine, though, so that was neat, but she didn't find the lessons sections to make much sense on her own (in particular, she'd go for the lessons with interesting pictures, and then be disappointed to be faced with a new page with icons that had other pictures, not the one she'd chosen, and then find a page with just stars (the actual activities)).

Anyway, I'm wondering how much other people find they need to sit with their younger kids (5, 6, 7 years old), especially not confident readers, as they go through each lesson. Presumably most people use this system as a seat-work "you must do this" kind of schooling, which we're not, but I'd still like to get an idea when (if at all) she'll be able to go off on her own more with it. She's really enjoyed the lessons she's done with me right there, and then not liked the ones she explored on her own.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I have a six-year-old. She needs me to access each lesson activity for her, and then she does it independently (meaning I can go load the dishwasher or something while she works ). The exception is an occasional math activity. Most of my kids find math challenging, and I try to sit with them while they're doing math quite frequently.

I disappear during quizzes and tests, because it's too tempting for them to ask for help, and I want to get an accurate idea of what they're learning and retaining. I do have to get the quiz or test up and running for my six-year-old.

I've noticed, with my own kids, that they prefer ANY activity if I'm right there watching them. "Mommy, come watch me dress my doll . . . Mom, come see how fast my truck can go . . . Mom, look how high I can jump . . . "

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

seashell is offline Member Regular

Does she need you to access it because she can't figure out which one is "next"? Or..?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yes, we do the lessons in sequence and it is difficult for her to figure out which one comes next. She can figure it out until she has finished all the "stars" on a page. Then, it's hard for her to decide where to go next.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!