how much should/do you help?
    shelley11476 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question how much should/do you help?

We use Time4Learning as our main curriculum for homeschool. I like for the kids to do it on the laptop close to me so that I can help if they have questions. There have been many times I go through a lesson with them (especially my 6th grader) so that I get a refresher in it as well. Sometimes my oldest has trouble with the quizzes and I find if I rephrase the question she understands it better. There are other times on the quizzes that I give her reminders on how to figure the answer or where she might have read about it, etc. She really has trouble with the quizzes when she does them by herself. She knows the material but seems to get confused with the questions. I also allow her and encourage her to take notes. How much is too much help? Would you consider this cheating or helping so much that she is not learning? Just curious as to how much others help their children with their school work.
    BTW, I absolutely love Time4Learning. It has worked so well for us. We have 3 children currently using it. One in 6th grade, 3rd grade and 2nd grade.
    Thanks,
    Shelley

mcmary is offline Member

Hi Shelley,

I think most kids will need some support in some subjects. My daughter and I read the social studies together (seventh grade). She'll read a page (screen) outloud, and then I'll read a page outloud. She is an auditory learner which means that hearing the material (even if it's her own voice) is helpful. We have found that jotting down notes is important because the quizzes ask for lots of details such as exact dates and names. Learning shouldn't be about facts. Instead concepts and making connections should be emphasized. So, while learning, I try to throw in how and why questions. Some kids, like mine, want to rush through and finish. I want to make sure she's understanding the material though. I want her to be truly thinking and not just trying remember facts to pass a quiz. I think, in your case, guiding them to the answer is completely appropriate as long as you are not telling them the answer. I hope this is helpful!

Chandra Rose is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree being available to rephrase questions or participate in reading is extremely helpful and I don't think it is too much

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If you think about it, it isn't fair to expect them to answer if they don't understand the question. Rephrasing is a great way to assist . . . and I find it a lot easier than teachng everything "from scratch". I almost always sit with my lower level kids when they do their work. I'm embarrassed to admit I've learned a lot that way!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!