How should I plan in mid-year?
    mom2zct is offline Junior Member

Default How should I plan in mid-year?

I'm starting to use t4l again (used it a couple of years ago) and will be officially starting it in Jan. We had trouble making our new curriculum work for us so we are making the switch. My question is how should I plan out the rest of the year? We live in Missouri where you have to have a certain number of "hours" from July to June and I haven't had much luck keeping track of what we've done so far. How can I plan out how much to have my boys do each day to compensate for a slow first part of the school year? I don't want to burn them out and we are taking math slow right now to focus more on the times tables. We do need to focus more on spelling at this point too. I'm just not sure where to have them jump in at and how much to do at first. I naturally thought I'd have them do some of the tests in the next level down to see where might be a good place to start but I don't want them to have to do several tests in each subject every day for a week or so. Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my boys are 9 and almost 12 and have done t4l before so the "getting used to" period would not really be necessary. TIA!

Megan

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How should I plan in mid-year?

In Missouri, you have to maintain (but not submit) records that show your student has completed 1000 hours of work. You can keep a very casual record. Don't forget to include things in addition to Time4Learning. Cooking and setting the table is "Home Ec". Soccer practice is "P.E.". Piano lessons count as "Music" and carpentry or craft projects can be "Art". This is not cheating! They are all legitimate educational experiences. A thousand hours comes out to over five and a half hours of instruction a day, and it wouldn't be good for a student to sit at the computer for that long.

Be careful trying to "catch up". When you do that, you tend to focus on "getting things marked off the list" instead of assuring that learning is taking place.

I would start them a level below where you "think" they are academically. The exception is core lanuage arts, where I usually stick to the actual grade level, because it covers the same material each year with more advanced vocabulary. For example, your nine-year-old is the age of a typical fourth grader. He will probably find the third grade science and social studies plenty challenging. If he's "good" at math, start him in fourth grade math. If he finds math challenging, try level three. If he's a math whiz, see how he does in level five. You can always bump them up or down a level if you need to. This is easy and stress-free, if your focus isn't on "getting a level done" within the school year.

We usually do two math activities, one core language arts activity, one language arts extension (or less, if it's an essay or something that spans several days), and one or two science or social studies activities each day. If you use the spelling and vocabulary lessons, you can include one or two "pages" of either a spelling or vocabulary lesson.

In addition, my kids do penmanship, a daily journal entry, and an hour of reading (their choice of material) per day.

You might want to visit the Missouri parent support group.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!