i,m new to home schooling andhave a few ?
    teasnagger is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default i,m new to home schooling andhave a few ?

Hi all and thank you for being here . I am totally new to home schooling and I'm rather lost as to just what is needed to have successful learning experience with it . T4L is the only teaching tool that I'm using at this time . and i was under the impression that it is a full and complete curriculum . that if mastered each year will allow my child to pass the necessary test to be considered passable by the school board . i am now wondering if i need to get access to some more teaching tools for that to be the case . I'm in Florida and in the law it states that the are NO required subjects . but i cant help but feel that this is just to simple ....lol any suggestions . or input.?please help me . i want to provide the best learning for my child . she is at the 2nd grade level . i decide to start home schooling her because i felt that the learning environment i the public school just was not conducive for her .

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning is a complete core curriculum for grades three and up. The core subjects are math, language arts, science and social studies. Many parents like to add penmanship, foreign language, arts and crafts, music lessons, etc.

Below third grade, language and math are still very complete. You might want to supplement the science and social studies for the lower grades. My personal opinion is that the best way to do this is to check out books at the library and read . . . about Columbus, the Pilgrims, how magnets work, what police officers do, and so on. If you aren't sure what kinds of things to cover, take a look at this Typical Course of Study. This is just a guideline, since the course of study will differ from school to school. As an occasional alternative to books, Netflix and similar rental programs offer educational DVDs. Look for Animated Hero Classics to begin with.

Have you seen Time4Learning's Welcome to Homeschooling Guide?

Browsing this forum will help you find many ideas for supplementation. Sometimes it's good to start small, though, and add subjects as you and your children gain experience. Homeschooling generally takes much less time per day than a group school setting (due to students not having to wait for other students to finish, no time off for assemblies, and so on).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome to homeschooling! I still cherish those first memories of homeschooling my boys. It goes so fast. When we began my son was 7 and he is now 16 years old?!

Time4Learning can definitely be your complete program. The great thing about this is that it leaves you time to add in those subjects that are most important to you....,

Bible?
    Typing?
    ARt?
    Homeschool Co-op's?
    Field Trips?

Whatever your heart desires. However, if you are feeling like you want to DO more, you could easily do your own history or science. We use another program for the Christian content, but we do it because we want to and not because we haveto.

Where in Florida are you located. (you can just share your county if you'd like) I am a homeschool support group leader here in Pinellas and my good friend B is too! If your near us we'd love to have you!

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/PPEA/

http://www.ppea-homeschool.com

Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

teasnagger is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default thank you so much.

i think you all so much for the help. i have added on the spellingtime.com as well as the bigmathtime.com and I'm thinking that i will bee looking for a way to add on history . i would love to find a web site for that if there is one out there . my little girl is 7 years old and it just seems to be a better fit for her to home school .she was getting great grades in PS but she was struggling with personality issues . and having a very hard time with focus as well as as the teachers keep putting it "useing her time wisely"...lol now she can work at her own pace as long as the work is done by the end of the day.....
    I'm in the Dayton beach area and i was wanting to join a homeschooling group but i dont know how to go about finding one in my area . I was also wondering something about the testing at the end of the year in Florida . how and were do i go about getting her tested or evaluated so that she can pass . any help is greatly appreciate .

DWest is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I am not so new, and not so old at this homeschooling. I still feel like I am kind of in limbo. But the PBS website has some great stuff for learning and also the learningpage.com has great science.
    Check the websites listed with your library too. Our library has links to a lot of things for the children.

sisymay is offline Member

The homeschool law in FLA states you do not have to teach ANY required subjects, but the student must take and pass a TEST?? What do they base the testing on if you don't have to teach any required subjects??

It's kinda like this in GA too. Here, we have to teach at least the subjects of reading, math, LA, SS and SCI. (more if we want to) The law does not state the specifics of how and what to teach for each of these subjects. Also, the child has to do 'standardized test' every 3 yrs beginning at end of 3rd grade.

The thing is, NO ONE has to see these tests. NO ONE has to see the school work, planning, report cards, etc.
    We don't have to give the public school ANYTHING but a yearly intent form and a monthly attendance form.

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

I still consider myself new to hsing but it has been almost two years! Wow! We also pulled out 2nd grade daughter out of ps since she was struggling with everything. She has been doing t4l for 9months and we've seen marked improvement in reading and math.

Welcome to homeschooling and T4L!

LaurieK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default hs evaluation in Florida

I have always done a teacher evaluation at the end of our school year. I have done some testing but I chose not to use those. Check out the PEC website-Parents educating children. You can probably find a local support group and that's where I would get a homeschool friendly teacher for my evaluations.

If your daughter is a good test taker you could have her take the FCAT for 3rd grade.

For Florida, there's 3-4 choices about being evaluated for homeschool.

What may start happening for you is that your daughter finishes up school after a few hours and you find yourself feeling like I wonder if this is enough. Start to prepare for this and add things accordingly. I am hsing my son and though not often, he finishes up early I try and have some fun activity for us to do for a reward/incentive to finish early.

Other things we do is a few worksheets of mathfacts-I'm using
    calculadders at the moment, a few pages of cursive. He also takes
    a couple of enrichment classes on Mondays for a few hours so he
    usually has some assignments. I have him reading 30 minutes daily, some of it outloud. I have him journal his reading-very simply with a few sentences of summary and a picture/pencil sketch here and there.

I like to give him a break off of the computer in between 1-2 activities and that's where we do our "paper" work.

I have been trying to get him outside for some physical activity-like roller blading, riding his scooter, to burn off some energy.

We continue to tweak our schedule here and there. I don't want to jinx myself but the last 2 days have been great.

Hope you enjoy your hs journey. I have struggled at different times but know that this has been the right thing at different times for my kids.

Take care,
    LaurieK

LaurieK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default hs seminar in Vero

I think that there is usally a mini hs conference in Vero Beach the first week in March. It starts on Friday ?night and then Saturday. Great little mini speaker sessions and a nice boost in the middle of the winter/spring season. There are curriculum vendors there and it's fun to look at this in person and you don't have to pay for shipping. But I do caution not to buy too much. It can be overwhelming those first few times. And the hs convention in Orlando is a great end of the year wrap. I find it's a good way to get your "cup refilled" for hsing. And there's many great speakers there as well. It's the Friday/Saturday of Memorial Weekend if you were thinking of trying to go.

HTH,
    LaurieK