Independant Work????????
    anderson93 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Independant Work????????

I am having a hard time getting my children to work independantly. We have just started using T4L, and this was a problem before using this curriculum. They like for me to stand right there with them. And if I'm not they steady call for me. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me. I know they do need help some of the time. But, also they should be able to work independantly. Any ideas?

I have a fifth and eighth grader.

Also, my fifth grader has a struggle with multiplication and memorization of the facts. Does anyone have any ideas I could use to strengthen his skills in this area? I notice as he moves on in his work it is a steady struggle because he hasn't memorized all his facts. We do use multiplication flash cards for practice.

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

As for the problem with memorizing the multiplication facts, have you tried to have all the problem on a grid 0X0 through 10X10 and using a highlighter to mark the ones that have been memorized. It's an insentive for some kids to see the chart/grid fill up with color as they master the facts.

I can't help you with the independant work. My daughter is SLD and needs quite a bit of instruction and often needs to repeat lessons as she didn't get it the first time. We go to the white board or manipulatives for math and then repeat the lesson in a few days so I know she understands. I only use review for independant work. Hope others can come along and give you better suggestions. DonnaMarie

ccpeterson is offline Member

My kids are 3rd and 5th grade, but working on levels below that, as they struggle. I sit with each of them when they do their Time 4 Learning. I like to monitor to make sure when it comes to reading a story, etc they are actually reading it. I also like to SEE what they are learning each day. It takes up my time to have to sit here, but I am homeschooling them, so I consider that part of my responsibility.
    As far as multiplication, my 5th grade son has not learned his yet either. I have JUST started (today) having him do 'copywork' for his math facts. I've heard it is VERY beneficial in helping them memorize them. Work on 1 group at a time....like all the 3 facts.....write them all out on a piece of paper 3x0=0, 3x1=3, and so on, and then have him copy them every day until they are memorized. Something about writing them over and over, helps them to remember them.

Charity
    ~Charity~
    Homeschoolin' Mama to 2
    Son, 14
    Daughter, 11

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Anderson93. Welcome to the board!

I used http://www.multiplication.com to teach my kids their multiplication facts. It's really hard for them to progress to long division or even fractions until they have their multiplication facts down. I used the "old way" outlined on that site instead of the "new way". The site is free.

I've also been using http://www.bigmathtime.com for one of my children. It's not free, and it isn't a complete math curriculum, but it's really nice for drilling the facts.

I, too, have found that my younger kids do better if I sit with them while they do their work. It's still easier (on me) than going through a textbook, correcting their papers, and so forth . . . and they enjoy the lessons more.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

anderson93 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much. I guess hearing a lot of people who homeschool talk about their children working independent made me a little insecure that maybe I was doing something wrong being right there with mine. But, I also know every child is different.

Thank you for the website information. I really like the multiplication.com and the "old way." It sounds so much simpler. I am going to try that. And then work with the grid a little as well. And hopefully this will help him to move on with long division and etc.