Intro of new member - LOVING T4L! ? re spelling lists
    adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Default Intro of new member - LOVING T4L! ? re spelling lists

We are using T4L as a core for our homeschool curriculum with our 9yo 4th grade daughter. Right now she is using the grammar and social studies sections as a core and the science to supplement a class she is already taking. She is currently doing a different distance learning math program through Stanford but my plan is to have her use the T4L math once that is completed.

My daughter loves the T4L. She even asked to do the grammar sections. I can honestly say I haven't heard that before and this is our 7th year of homeschooling! She is twice exceptional being very gifted but also very adhd. The images and sound help keep her attention.

I was looking for an economical way to provide some structure, support and independence to our schooling. Dd has responded sooo well to the online distance math program I was encouraged to investigate other alternatives. I am really excited about already planning for next year. I think the history section will give a great foundation and jumping off point for our studies. I'm also looking forward to trying the math (again, once she finishes her current distance learning math).

Dd responds best to a multi-faceted presentation. Visual, sound, songs, jokes, worksheets to practice further, etc. T4L obviously fits this very well. I also like that she can initiate school and I don't have to be the one "driving" it. I am usually in the background and we talk, she asks questions, etc.

Here's my spelling question: In looking through the lesson plans for language arts, I see only 10 spelling units and they are all at the end of the language arts selection screen. I originally thought you just went in order (following the arrow and doing the next in line icon). But now I'm not so sure.

For one, only ten spelling lessons is not enough (for a fourth grader). Most spelling programs have 35-36 weeks of lessons. I wouldn't even mind so much if there were only 25 units. Are there additional spelling units scattered within other portions of the language arts sections I'm not aware of? Are you supposed to click on one spelling activity a week but continue with the rest of the scope and sequence in language arts? OR are you supposed to decide from the scope and sequence what to do next, skipping around so you get a bit of spelling, grammar, vocab and reading each week?

I guess that is actually a question I have for the entire T4L program. Are you supposed to proceed only with what is next (what the arrow is pointing to) or are you supposed to use the lesson plans to jump around so you get a "well-balanced" weekly educational program? I understand that if we do every activity by the end of the year, we should have covered everything but I'm wondering about the order of it all. Is it already paced out for us or do we need to do the pacing?

I have a degree in education, have conducted many adult training sessions and have been homeschooling for a while but I'm still finding this confusing to get my head around at times. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks ahead of time!

I am really excited about enthusiastically sharing with our homeschool group (the state's largest so there is quite an audience!) but i would like to more fully understand it myself before I take that on.

Blessings and happy spring!
    Adele
    [email protected]

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Each of the ten spelling units you mention contains three sets of spelling words, so there are actually thirty weeks worth of fourth grade spelling available.

There is no "correct" sequence. Parents are encouraged to use Time4Learning in a way that suits their particular child's needs. Some parents choose to do all activities in the order they are presented. Others prefer to skip around, especially within the language arts curriculum.

A popular method is to assign one or two learning activities from the grammar section and one or two from a literature unit each day. Along with that, the student works through a spelling list per week.

Experiment, and find what works best for your child. Five of my children are currently using T4L, and none of them use it in exactly the same way.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will have her continue just working on the grammar and writing items and then this summer have her start mixing it up in preparation for the new school year. For the math program is it best to proceed sequentially or do you also suggest she jump around a bit? T4L would be her core math program. This is great information! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Blessings,
    Adele

Blog Entries

Math skills often develop sequentially. For that reason, it seems that more parents choose to follow the math lessons "in order".

There are certainly parents who "jump around" in the math program, or who skip over sections altogether.

Review is important to my own children, so I have them complete the math in the order in which it is presented, even if it's something I believe they have already mastered.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

shmoomama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hey Adele. I think I "know" you.

There are so many ways to use this program. I am also in the process of seeing how I can build around this in a more structured way and it is making my head spin a bit too.

I am in T4L shock and awe. I am almost in disbelief that this is working so well.

-Mary K.-

I know what you mean by the shock and awe. I keep pinching myself and wondering why in the world I didn't do this sooner!

I finally printed out the lesson plans for 5th grade language arts and social studies to see how many codes there are for each different section, what we did and did not want to use and when. I think once I look at it a bit more, I'll be able to come up with a usable lesson plan for next year. I will be jumping between things in the language arts (getting in a balance of grammar, reading, vocab, etc. each week) and pacing the social study units by weeks. Math will be easy enough to just say two codes a day. There were a few language arts units (latin and Greek root words for example) I wanted to coordinate with the history study of Ancient Greek. With the lesson plans it is very easy to do this!

Thanks again for freely sharing. I can't wait to get the word out with friends and family!

Blessings from Iowa,
    Adele
    [email protected]

kemndiaz is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default SPELLING

Although my daughter absolutely loves every part of T4L, she wants spelling to be more challenging. So we found spellingtime.com (hope this can post). It's just like T4L except it's free LOL! I love it because it sends me a list of words she has mispelled in the pretest and it also sends me the list she mispelled on the test. Sowe can go over it together.

Kathia

Blog Entries

SpelllingTime is similar to Time4Learning in that it's online, fun, animated, and educational. Time4Learning provides language arts, math, science, and social studies. Time4Learning's language arts program includes phonics, grammar, verbal comprehension, reading comprehension, writing skills, vocabulary, AND spelling.