Intro & ?s about K, 7th & 8th grade programs
    hsmom2many is offline Junior Member

Default Intro & ?s about K, 7th & 8th grade programs

I just joined Time 4 Learning and I registered 5 of my 9 children. (I have 2 in high school, a 2 year old and a 3month old.) I am confused about the program for my 6 year old. He is technically a 1st grader however, he is performing at closer to Kindergarten level. In both language arts and math he only has access to the kindergarten and first grade level. Shouldn't he also have access to the Pre-K level? Also he doesn't have access to Social Studies at all. I don't understand this since it specifically says on the website that Kindergartners have access to math, language arts, science and social studies. I would also like my 7th & 8th grader to have access to the Algebra lessons. I contacted T4L about these things late Sunday night/early Monday a.m. but I am still waiting for a response.
    TIA,
    Angela
    Blessings,
    Angela

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Intro & ?s about K, 7th & 8th grade programs

Hi, Angela. Welcome!

It does take some time to get everything set up at first.

Time4Learning includes a complete core language arts and math program for grades K-8. Science and social studies are a free bonus for most levels.

To get access to algebra for your seventh and eighth graders, email [email protected] . This is typically done within 24 hours of receiving your email.

While children usually have access to one grade level above and one grade level below their registered grade, the preschool program is separate. To get access to preschool for your kindergartner, email [email protected] . Again, this is typically done within 24 hours of receiving your email.

There are no kindergarten social studies or science lessons. Kindergartners are given first grade science and the first/second grade social studies lessons on request. Because the science and social studies offered before third grade are supplementary lessons, I prefer to use this Typical Course of Study and teach those two subjects casually, through simply reading books, discussing, and providing coloring pages on the subjects. It sounds as if you are already an experienced homeschooler, but you can see that a kindergartner's science and social studies curriculum is usually fairly light (often not taught more than once a week).

If you use the Typical Course of Study as a guide, you might be interested to know that Time4Learning's first/second grade social studies can help cover a few items on the list - wants and needs, holidays and tradition, responsibilities to family, etc. The first/second grade science lessons can help cover animals and plants, weather and seasons, animal classification, etc. I actually have had my children do these short, enjoyable lessons in kindergarten and then at the beginning and end of first and second grades. Repetition helps at this young age.

Beginning in third grade, the science and social studies are considered a complete curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hsmom2many is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Intro & ?s about K, 7th & 8th grade programs

Thanks so much, Kelly! I requested those add-ons again.
    Angela
    Blessings,
    Angela