Introducing myself
    shelley11476 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introducing myself

Hello all.
    I am Shelley. I've been married to Jerry for almost 14 years and we have 4 children and 1 on the way. Maria is 11 and in 6th grade, Connor is 8 and in 3rd grade, Rebecca is 7 and in 2nd grade, Zoey is 2 and Lilly is due on Christmas day. We live in Illinois and I'll post over on the state forum as well.
    This is our 3yr of homeschooling. We have done a hodge podge of curriculum in the last cpl years but wanted to try something different this year. We have only been members here for a cpl weeks but so far I am more than thrilled with it. My kids are excited about their school work and that thrills me.
    I do wonder if we are doing more than we "should" be each day but as of right now the kids are not on the computer more than 2hours a day doing school work so I'm happy with it. The don't seem overwhelmed at all. I see that they have the numbers of activities etc and I did the worksheet, etc but I think I am confused as to which is an activity.
    So here is an example of what we do:
    6th grade LA:
    we click on language arts
    then on vocabulary skills
    then on synonyms and she does all the orange stars under that and we count that as 1 LA activity.
    Is that correct?

I look forward to getting to know all of you,
    Shelley

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Love your intro.

You explained .....

we click on language arts
    then on vocabulary skills
    then on synonyms and she does all the orange stars under that and we count that as 1 LA activity.

I consider EACH of those little orange stars as 1 lesson. Cause there are some of those that have about 4 stars under it and a Quiz. What I have found that is not to overwhelming for son is on average we do 2 (stars) Lessons or 1 Lesson (star) and 1 Quiz. The only ones I will have him do 2 Lessons (stars) and 1 Quiz is in Science or Social Studies. For my son those are the FUN lessons. Silly boy...

That is how we do it. BUT as I wrote in a blog earlier today. Do what WORKS for YOUR family!!!
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The way the lesson plans are laid out, each of those orange stars is one activity.

The confusion is that most parents are accustomed to thinking of a lesson as "the amount of work done in one sitting" . . . like a piano lesson! In Time4Learning (and many textbooks), one lesson is made up of many activities ("Lesson Activities . . . the orange stars) and may take many days.

Think of the subject as a textbook (i.e. "Language Arts".) The first page of icons you come to after clicking on the subject represents chapters in the book. When you click on a chapter icon, you get a page of icons that represent the lessons in that chapter. When you click on a lesson icon, you get a page of icons that represent the lesson activities in that lesson.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I got so wrapped up in answering your question that I forgot to say . . . WELCOME!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

shelley11476 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you all for your responses. While looking at the overviews last night I found the diagram that shows me what an activity is (the orange stars). I kinda laughed because I thought wow, the kids are already a lot further ahead than planned. I talked it over with my oldest and she said she's comfortable with the amt of LA she is doing now but thinks it would be better if math was only 2 actual activity vs 2 lessons . I think right now the LA is a lot of review for her so we will continue at the pace we are on with that until it becomes more challenging. Thank you all for the breakdowns.