Introducing myself and kids
    jodie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introducing myself and kids

Hi,

My name is Jodie. My kids are Rachel 13- 7th Grade and Luke 12-6th grade. We are new here. I think this is a great program. I am just a little overwhelmed getting started. Rachel loves doing the lessons and runs on self mode very well. Luke on the other hand is rather difficult. He wants to rush through it all so that it's over and he can do his thing. I want to make sure he does enough to actually learn something. Is anyone else having this problem. Luke did the same thing in public school. He rushed. What is suggested as far as how many lessons a day in each subject? HELP!!!

Thanks

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jodie. Welcome!

If it is important that your student complete a grade level's worth of work during the school year, take a look at the Lesson Plans. Divide the number of lesson activities in a subject by the number of days in your school year to get an idea of how many lesson activities your student needs to do each day to finish that subject in a year.

To use Time4Learning as a self-paced program, you can require your student to work a certain amount if time in each subject. There is a time provided at the lower levels for this purpose. Student who use the program this way may complete more or less than a grade level during a year.

Once I have the quick calculations done for my kids, I just tell them something like, "Do two math lesson activities (LAs), three language arts LAs, one science LA and one social studies LA every day".

You might want to look at the language arts extensions and see if you want your student to do some of those. They can be used as extra practice on concepts your student is struggling with, as additional study in areas of special interest to you or your student, or as enrichment activities for students who aren't challenged enough with the core language arts. Some parents use all of the extensions . . . some don't use any of them . . . most pick and choose from among those offered.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Default about dividing the lessons for the year

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for replying. I understand what you are saying. I am just wondering how to do that in my situation. I removed my kids from public school this month. They were already half way through their grade level. I am trying to stay on the schedule of the public school as far as breaks and for summer. I want them to be able to finish their grade level by summer. Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to double time them and lose their interest or make it drudgery for them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Jodie

ranchgirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Jodie!

I too started T4L in January with my 10 year old son. He's in 5th grade. From the public school I could print our his report card on line, got the school books and reviewed. I did notice when starting T4L, that not everything in the public school was covered in detail. I am pushing him at a good pace to play the catch-up game.

You can get Scope and Sequence books that state what each child should know by the end of each grade.

I do love the way that T4L teaches! We have had to back-up to the 4th grade level in some subjects, but then I bounce right into the 5th grade level. That works for us. The first couple of weeks had a huge learning curve for the both of us! We have now adapted and he is working a more on his own. I still like to sit with him during quizzes and tests, so he doesn't rush through them. We do talk through them, sometimes. He is telling me to quit talking now! Ha! Which is an improvement. I had to teach him how to take notes for Science and Social Studies, summarizes each paragraph. Which T4L helped us with that. But, I'm just the mom, T4L is the teacher!

I have already explained to my son, that we will be doing school work this summer to play catch-up. The more he does now, the more time he'll have off this summer. I think I'll end up doing Social Studies, some science and some math this summer. Pretty light. The public school doesn't teach what I think a kid should learn. I'm not fond of No Child Left Behind. Our public school is only teaching to the level that they test on. Nothing more. So, I'm the mean teacher expecting more. But, that's OK. It's balancing out now, and he likes it.

Anywhooo... I will work on 5th grade till it's done, so we can begin 6th grade after Labor Day. That's my plan! I'm making up for the what the public schools are lacking. That's why I began home schooling!

Good luck to trying to find your balance! Please, just it give it time and if something doesn't work, change it! That's the beauty of home schooling!

Jennie

Hi Jennie,

Thanks for writing. I appreciate your encouragement. I am loving time4learning because my kids are showing more and more interest in it. I agree with you that it teaches much more than public school. I don't agree with the no child left behind either. I don't like that the teachers in public school don't seem to have their heart into teaching anymore. I think the really good kids get mixed in with the ones who just don't care and it makes things harder. I also think the public school has almost become like a military atmosphere. Kids are kids and need to be allowed to be just that. Here in Georgia, in my county anyway, it's pretty ridiculous. They seem to have a new rule every day. I am not stretching it either. I just hated it for my kids. I just wish that time4learning offered high school classes too. My 13 year old will be starting high school after next year and my 12 year old the year after that. I really don't want them to ever go back to public school, but I do want them to experience the good part of high school. I don't know what to do about that, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I just think about it quite often. Anyway, it's good that your child is doing so well. I think it's a great curriculum. I am learning alot too! Thanks again for the reply. Good luck to you too. Maybe we'll talk again. I'm lagging behind right now because I am ready for some sleepppppppppppp...
    Bye,
    Jodie

Windilei is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Hello! I am new in January too....

Hi,

I have a 12 year old 7th grader and I pulled my son out of school when all his teachers in a joint conference called him a weirdo cause he is "different" well, gee, he is intelligent and confidant and they could not change him... Yeah.

I have stressed out totally in regards to his education, but he has on his own learned to enjoy the program. He thinks Peedy is silly but not can't do without him. I think much of Kolton's problem is reading comprehension. Thank you T4L in that regard. He pop up every few minutes with MOM! Guess what? It took 8000 Men... in 2000 miles... Railroad history. He never got school before.

Kolton has... after less than a month put himself in 7th grade math, and 5th grade social studies. He wanted to go lower but won't log in as a lower level so is content where he is at... he is not concerned with grade level as starting at a place that makes sense, for history... in BC era.

I am going to do this year round... we work year round... and we will finish when he completes the levels.

He lowered himself to 5th grade because he could not pass the tests. so now he went from a 48% average to a 78% average. WE are shooting for no less than 80%.

I have done a lot of research on natural learning and unschooling and now feel comfortable with him leading himself. We won't ever go back to public he never had friends and is not interested in being like the other kids. Our family Dr. will help him audit classes in the local CC at 14 or so.

Kolton now takes pride in showing me his accomplishments and I am really working on lightening up.

He is doing at least one lesson per day per subject and we are working up to 2-3 hours a day of work. I had a hard time with the lesson plans, calculating the time factor. There is always time.
    Hello! I am a married, homschooling mom of two. A 12 year old son, and a nearly 4 year old daughter. We live in rural northern Michigan and would love to hear from fellow homeschoolers.