Introduction

Thread: Introduction

maudie81 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Smile Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Maudie and I am a homeschooling mother to 4 children. I actually have 5, but my youngest daughter is only 3 months old. She actually does sit for the lessons, but thats about it I am so excited that I found this website. I am struggling with my 1 and only son, who is 6 years old, and despite doing kindergarten last year, he doesn't know hardly anything. He loves computers and his attention span for other areas is pretty short. I use Rod and Staff for my daughters and they do great, but he is NOT catching on. So I am praying that when my husband sees this website this afternoon, he will say okay to a subscription. I have been reading through the post here and it is amazing at the support you all give here! It seems great. I am also fixen to check out, " Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons" from my local library. Does anyone have any tips on using that book? Well I got to go pick up my husband, keep your fingers crossed that he will say okay. God bless and thanks for having me here.
    Blessing~
    Maudie
    Wife to my Beloved~ Cameron
    Mother to 4 Daughters~
    Jodee 12, Savannah 11, Taylor Grace 10, and Our Newest Blessing~ Emily Jordyn~ 6-8-2010
    Mother to 1 Son ~
    James 6
    " Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
    Philippians 4:11

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Maudie. Welcome!

I tried "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". It's laid out nicely and I know it works for many families. My children preferred to read a variety of things and were bored reading just the passages in the book, so we moved on to other things. If you do decide to use the book, the website DonnaYoung.org: Homeschool Resources and Printables has some worksheets and printable activities specifically designed to go with that book.

I have six children. My fifth learned to read with Time4Learning. The reading and phonics instruction is very thorough and very fun, with lots of review. We tried some other online programs, but the lessons were all designed in the same way and my children tire of that quickly. Faith liked Time4Learning because of the variety in the lessons.

If you decide to use Time4Learning to teach reading to a struggling reader, I would plan to sit next to him as he does the lessons. I know it's difficult with several children, but not nearly as difficult as presenting every lesson yourself "from scratch". The lessons are short, too. You might find it hard to believe that a child can learn to read by doing two or three five-minute activities each day, but it can happen! I would also find time to read to him daily and to listen to him "read". Shared reading is a good method: You read most of the words on the page, as he follows along. Pause when you come to a word you think he knows or can figure out and let him read it. Do this only a couple of times on each page, or he'll have difficulty understanding the storyline. When he's reading better, you can read the pages on "your side" of the book and he can read the pages on "his side".

I think two or three T4L language arts lessons (first grade level), a five-minute read-aloud (read by mom), and five to ten minutes of shared reading per day will teach most kids to read. (Another advantage of sitting next to him as he does his lessons is that you know what sounds he's working on, so you can casually point them out during your everyday activities. "Hey, I see a word with the long /a/ sound on your cereal box!"

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning phonics instruction goes through second grade. I wouldn't be in a huge hurry, as many children (boys, especially) don't learn to read until they are eight. (Read Raymond Moore's Better Late than Early.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!