Introduction from NC
    lyninraleigh is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introduction from NC

We are homeschooling our only son, who is in the 5th grade. He has done above average in all his subjects, except Math and writing (the physical act of writing). We have tried numerous Math curricula after spending the first 3 years using Saxon, which he hated! I really like BJU and Rod & Staff, but knowing his love for the computer, I thought Time4Learning sounded like it would give him inspiration & encouragment. I find in the first week, that I am referring back to my books, but I don't think I would need to, if we weren't playing "catch up". He has loved doing his math on the computer and I am hoping he will get back on track soon.

I have enjoyed reading some of the posts and have found them helpful.

Thanks to those who have gone before us newbies,

Lyn in NC

t4lwebster is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome Lyn! Glad to have you posting here

Not sure if you've seen the Scope and Sequence, but it might also be a helpful tool in "catching up".

Kris C.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Time4Learning Member Support

Need help getting started? Check out our Getting Started Guide

Yes, the scope and sequence has been tremendously helpful.

Thank you,

Lyn in NC

BTW, what is the BBCode?

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Hi Lyn and welcome!

My 12 yo has been doing T4L since October and he has had a terrific time with the math. However it's done, it works for him very well. Writing, otoh, has always been his all time, least favorite thing to do (minor dysgraphia translating over time into a hatred of anything requiring more than a word or two written down.) He did just fine with T4L language arts as long as it was just grammar, vocab or other such one word type response lessons. But I found when he came to the reading sections (ILA's?) where they expected him to read, analyze and write, he was NOT doing it. Reading, yes. The rest, maybe to no (it took me a bit to realize this, too.) So I had to get another writing program (we're using IEW and it's wonderful and he's even writing now...) But, for all the other parts of language arts, I could count on him to do his best and he learned what was taught. (The moral of the story is, they can fudge the "writing" sections if they want to. lol)

Good luck!

Dear Paula,

Thanks so much for your insights! I know MANY, MANY boys who have pencil phobia. I am very thankful that ds developed an early love for reading (great books), and this has been a great help to him in vocab and spelling and "narration". We read aloud (great books) almost every night, and have since he was a very little boy. This has proven itself invaluable to his comprehension skills and ability to retain what he hears and reads.

I have purchased Classical Writing and really like the way it is layed out. I had also purchased IEW and some in our support group are having great success using that. It just didn't work for me (personally).

We also do Latin, which is a tremendous boost to understanding and mastering the English language.

NOW, IF I CAN JUST GET HIM TO "WRITE"!!!

Just for the sake of using a pencil/pen, I let him copy out of his favorite Star Wars books -- but, that didn't last long. BTW, he has a very legible handwriting. It really does seem to just be the physical act of writing that he hates. He will be 11 in a few weeks, so I am praying this is an age thing and once he gets going, he will take off.

Well, I don't guess anyone really wanted to know all this : ) - but, sometimes, when we share our experiences, it usually benefits someone or someone has a "tip" that is just the right key.

Thanks for listening!

Lyn in NC

Haroldlp is offline Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by lyninraleigh
    BTW, what is the BBCode?
    BBCode is what a forum uses to allow for members to be able to do special things in their posts. It is a safer way than allowing HTML to be used since that can let someone mess up the site. If you know HTML then BBCode is much the same except it uses [] to surround the code instead of <> as HTML does.

Here is a Tutorial on BBCode

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by lyninraleigh
    BTW, he has a very legible handwriting. It really does seem to just be the physical act of writing that he hates. He will be 11 in a few weeks, so I am praying this is an age thing and once he gets going, he will take off.
    Hi Lyn! My son also has very neat handwriting. You wouldn't know about the dysgraphia except his two siblings have it pretty severely and when they were all screened, the person doing it mentioned that he has it, too, only he learned to compensate (by writing very small among other, odder things.) Hopefully, your son will get over the writing thing. How is he typing? I'm forcing my son to practice typing (2-3xs a week) as he is a whole lot less reluctant to use MSWord than a paper and pencil. (As far as IEW, did you use the SWI? It's really made the difference with my son's distaste for "writing" -- is that a four letter word? )

Good luck!