Just Joined....getting the most out of Time4Learning
    treesh is offline Junior Member

Default Just Joined....getting the most out of Time4Learning

Hi, I homeschool my 3rd grader and my younger one (not sure what grade she should be in). It has been pretty smooth sailing using a boxed curriculum for my 3rd grader. I started my 6 year old with the same program last year at K level. She was not quite 5 yet. She did OK, but not well. I thought I could just push her along, but this year when we started 1st, it became more and more difficult and more and more tearful every day. It was taking me hours and hours a day to finish school with both kids and we were worn out. I decided to take a step back with the younger one and just review. Lo and behold, school was going smoothly again for my 3rd grader and I. I'm not sure what the problem is. Technically, in our state, she should be in K. But she is higher than K but not quite a 1st grader.

I am concerned that she may have some kind of learning disability. She is VERY stubborn which is part of the problem and lacks confidence. But at the same time, she can read a word and in the next sentence, she'll have to resound out the same word again as if she has never seen it before. She can't remember, no many how many times I tell her and demonstrate, how to count on or how when you add 1 to a number it is always the next number. She must use cubes or count on her fingers to get the answer. We've just made up little rhymes to get her to remember the months of the year. But she makes no connections with months to birthdays or holidays, etc.

I'm wondering if she has a visual processing issue. I also think she has some sensory issues. I'm lucky that she is not required to be tested this year....but next year she will.

Anyway, we are going to try this program out.

My question is, how do I get the most out of this program? I have been reading the boards and I'm still not clear on it all. Someone asked about a supply list on another thread. I followed the instructions in someone else's answer, but still didn't see a supply list.

We will be starting tomorrow. I really want to take advantage of all it has to offer.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i can honestly say that one of the biggest sources of drama that we face in this house (besides the fact that my children are heathens, lol) is the different learning styles. the hardest thing for me to overcome was teaching my daughter how to read. my son, like me, just picked up a book and started reading - like a 6th sense almost. but my daughter actually had to LEARN to read. i can't tell you how many tears we BOTH shed while trying to make letters, blends, silent e's and all the rest make sense. thre are still days when i want to bury my head into a pillow and scream. don't be so quick to jump to a learning disorder ... it could very easily just be that your child hasn't made the connection between numbers and reality yet. some kids do it instantly, others have to work at it. if you're planning to homeschool for a while, just keep trudging along. if some time passes and you still don't think you're making any headway, then re-evaluate the situation. If you feel some pressure to have your child make learn this *right now* then maybe we can all suggest different ways we've taught daily-use math.

in either case, welcome to the (new) board!! let us know how we can help
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Thank you, YCA. I hope you are right and it's not a learning disability. I guess overall, she has made progress. I just feel that 2 months after turning 6, she is not where she should be, but I am going to trudge along. I'm just not sure what I will do next year when she has to be tested for the state, if she is not up to par by then. By par, I just mean what she is expected to know at her grade level.

I really want to make sure I take advantage of all this site has to offer us. I guess I'll see how today goes.

Yca
    Blog Entries

no worries - that's what we're here for. more than once i have wondered if there is something wrong with my children - or even if i'm teaching them enough or teaching them properly. more often than not it is just a matter of them learning things when they want to learn them. there is no rhyme or reason to it .. kids are just weird like that. one thing that we have found is that even doing the "bare minimum", we are still "above par" according to the state. i hope you'll find the same is true for you.
    ~ Yca ~

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, treesh. Welcome!

Hover over the word "Help" at the upper, left of the forum and click on "Hints and Help". There's some information there that should help you get started.

There is no supply list currently, but there are very few required supplies. You can preview your student's lessons so you'll know when something is coming up. Be sure to not mark the lesson as complete, so they don't show up on the reports.

Give yourself a couple of weeks to get familiar with the new program. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thanks Kelly. I have been reading through the help information and am slowly getting to know the site. I'm not sure about marking things as completed. When I preview the lessons, I just go back to the "home" icon or I click on the x to get off without marking anything as complete.

BUT, this leads me to another question. Do I have to mark things complete as dd completes them? Or when she completes a lesson and the icon has a green check on it, is that sufficiently marked as complete?

Yca
    Blog Entries

once she completes the lesson, it will mark itself as complete. (look!! something in the house that does something all by itself without even being asked!!!! *faint*)
    ~ Yca ~

Heh, heh, thanks, Jess.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Exiting a lesson activity properly after letting it run all the way through (or paging through it rapidly, for text-based activities) is what causes it to mark itself complete. To avoid having it marked as complete, just exit "incorrectly". Information about exiting can be found under the "Help" tab above. Choose "Hints and Help" and then "Technical Issues". You'll see a link about marking lessons as complete.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!