Just a small suggestion
    mom2beauty1999 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Just a small suggestion

I am not sure where to put this but I do know that in the past T4L has cared about the feedback on the program....so I wanted to put this where it might help....

My DD is doing the 3rd grade LA and the first lesson Vocabulary skill/synonyms she needed help with the last lesson in that section....the little character does not give the children much time (2 seconds) to try to reread the question before he makes a comment "Whenever your ready"...something so small of a remark can really make a child feel rushed or pushed....this continued through the lesson with the program going into some pause mode automatically.....its really not necessary for all of that when a child it trying to take her time to read the passage again and think through the questions...this puts pressure on the child and makes them feel inadequate. We now turn the volume off when she is trying to reread somthing...but the automatic pause mode is again annoying and makes the child feel like she is not doing the lesson quickly enough and therefore makes them feel as if they are not doing a very good job or cant keep up....it brings on frustration and that is not conducive to learning!!
    Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just a small suggestion

Thanks for the feedback. You make a good point! Turning the volume off is a good workaround.

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by CompassLearning, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to individuals. Time4Learning has repackaged the program to make it better for family use by doing such things as adding the playground. Time4Learning does pass on feedback received to CompassLearning, but the actual content of the lessons is something they do not control.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mandiana is offline Senior Member

Thank you for posting this, mom2beauty!

My daughter also gets distracted and therefore frustrated by the voice over comments when she's working out a problem in the math section. We hadn't thought about turning down the volume. I'm going to suggest that to her!

~ Amanda

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

jack just finished 3rd grade la and we never looked at it with sarcasm ... i guess i never thought about it. i always thought it was more like, just whenever you're ready. like, "honey, do you want to go to the store today?" "sure, whenever you want, just let me know" kind of thing. isn't perception funny?
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

AprilMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree, that some children can feel rushed or pushed. Those prompts are one reason my child does not like the program. We are still in the trial period, and we are on the fence about whether or not we will purchase the program. I don't think the other parents concerned with the prompts thought they were sarcastic ... just annoying ... and they do interrupt the child who is thinking about the answer.

Kay

denimay is offline Senior Member

Kay......my son and I often find the "prompts" annoying......and we just turn the sound down until we're ready to move on........my personal opinion is that 2 weeks is not enough time to really get the feel of the program...."I" would (I did) sign up and give it a month or 3 before deciding it's NOT for you.......it's so inexpensive that it won't be a huge expense to give it a real chance...and you can cancel at any time so you won't be stuck with a lifetime contract......just my thoughts....I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your and yours.........cheers! deni..........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

AprilMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank for the imput, Deni. I've gone ahead and put in my cancellation notice. $20 a month is not inexpensive for us right now, and for us the cons outweigh the pros in this program.

denimay is offline Senior Member

Kay....I wish you all the best! I'm sure you'll find what works best for you and yours...and I totally understand about the cost....$20 is a LOT for us too! good luck!..........deni....
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

Cathy is offline Senior Member

Awwwww I wish you would have given this another chance. We've used a few other programs and my kids really love t4l. I never gave it a 2nd thought. We have always just turned down the volume when it was annoying to us. No program is going to be 100% perfect and to me t4l is about as close as you are going to get. Kids really do love it and I would hate to see you spend money on soemthing else only for your daughter to say she'd rather do t4l. Good luck with your choice, but perhaps a week of the volume off during those times may fix the problem??

poorbabi is offline Member Newbie

We just said yesterday that that therehis to much talking when you are trying to figure a problem.