Just wanted to share this with everyone.....
    LilMamaof2NY is offline Junior Member

Default Just wanted to share this with everyone.....

Hello everyone!

Embarrassingly, I JUST discovered the difference between "Completed" and "Mastery" which is another reason I love this forum. After going back to check my daughter's progress I realized that she wasn't showing "Mastery" on anything because she hadn't taken any of the chapter tests. Needless to say I went into a panic at first, then depression set in, because I thought I had screwed up big time! But after taking a deep breathe, saying a lil prayer and a big, wooooh saaaah!.....I came up with a plan that was pretty genius if I may say so myself!, lol
    I remembered how I used to take mid-term exams in school which was a great way to reinforce everything that we learned thus far in the year. So I turned my frown upside down and decided to make these 2 weeks mid-term exam week. All the tests she skipped (which weren't her fault, neither of us noticed the Test Icon at the bottom of each chapter) proved to be a perfect opportunity to reinforce all that she's learned so far. And the bonus: it's perfect timing because it's right before our Christmas break!
    In the end, I'm actually glad she didn't take any of the tests, because now she can show me what she knows by taking them now! And 2 weeks gives her a great amount of time so she won't feel rushed!
    Moral of the story......Homeschooling is such a wonderful opportunity for us to capitilize on ways to make learning fun and flexible. And Time4Learning is a perfect tool to help us do that. So even if you are feeling overwhelmed and a bit confused, you can always take a step back and tweek things a bit so that they work for you and your family!

Lena is offline Member

Thanks for sharing this, I love your response! I had similar issues at first, but with the quizzes. We had no idea what we were doing, and we just followed the arrows. Well, the arrows don't point to the quiz icon either. AND, at the end of every (first grade math) lesson it says "now it's time to take a quiz" so I heard that and thought we were doing just fine. Took some time to realize that there is a 5 question "quiz" that is part of the lesson, and then there is the quiz quiz that usually has more questions. confusing, but able to figure it out, eventually.

Thanks again for sharing, as your response is awesome! and a great reminder that flexibility is the key. I have to remind myself often to stop stressing out. The pressure comes from ME. So I can back off from time to time.

It's great to be a homeschooler!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I think it's great that you chose to turn this into a positive experience! Way to go!

Time4Learning offers lessons in many different formats. That's one of the things I like about the program. We've used online curriculum before that gets boring REALLY fast, because all the lessons look the same. With so many different formats, though, the tradeoff is that there's a little more to learn about how they all work.

Thank you for sharing your experience here!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!