Keeping up with core, non core, and total hours of home school.
    Emma'sgranny is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Keeping up with core, non core, and total hours of home school.

I live in Missouri where we have to keep up with the amount of core and total hours for home school for the year. I have been keeping track of core, non core, and total hours for each day. I use Time 4 Learning and can't imagine home schooling without it. I love how it keeps up with the time my 7 year old granddaughter is on the computer. There are still other things we do and study. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to keep up with everything. I would love to have some kind of paper form where I can record these hours and then be able to total them at the end of each month. I would really appreciate any help that you seasoned home schoolers can give to this newbie. Thanks, Polly Gulley, (Grandmother and home school teacher to my 7 year old little Emma)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Polly! I'm glad Time4Learning helps in your record keeping.

I'm not a great fan of hour-tracking requirements. Do realize that, although Missouri requires you to track hours, you will only need to submit the records if your program is ever questioned for some reason.

Here's an article that gives some ideas about things you can count as school time. For example, if your child writes a thank you note, be sure to count that as "language arts". If they help you with your coupons, that's "math". This is valuable, practical application of what they've learned, and it really does "count". Missouri's statute specifically says the instruction in each subject doesn't have to occur all at one time, so keep your eyes open for activities to track throughout the day.

Here's another one that is meant for high school, but works fine for lower levels. It includes a simple printable to track homeschool hours.

I hope these help!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Emma'sgranny is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks Kelly,
    But, I am keeping track of three separate types of hours. The"core" hours, "non core" hours, and the "totals" of both. I have been recording these three types of hours separately. Missouri law says I must offer at least 1000 hours of instruction with at least 600 of those hours in the core subjects. I don't understand how I can be compliant with the law unless I keep track of these hours separately. Otherwise how can I know when I have offered the amount of hours that the law mandates?

I am also in MO. To keep track of my core/non-core hours I put together a spreadsheet (try excel, or numbers for Mac). At the end of each week I record the time spent in each lesson for the week. The spreadsheet adds the hours for me and there is even an option to add a pie chart so I can see what percentage of our school hours are spent in each subject. Since MO requires 600 out of 1000 hours to be core subjects, I know I always need to keep my non-core percentage under 40%. This method of tracking has made it really easy to keep up with our hours. I'm really curious how other people do it.