kids with add

Thread: kids with add

nfink4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Unhappy kids with add

Iam have a fee questions. I have had my children in private christian school for 4 years and decided i wanted to homeschool last year i signed up for abeka online streaming and was very excited we started in sept and by nov they were back in private school. It was terrible they hated it it was a big argumrnt everyday. I have one child with adhd and one with add and she has some rral struggles with reading and phonics. We are moving oct 1 and i have decided to try again homeschooling but this time doing it not online but one on one. However as i was about to order abeka which cost over 1000 for two kids a friend advised me of t4l. I trird it with the demos with the older son today because he loves video games and i thoufut it might catch his attention better . He liked it but he is in all gifted classes and it seemed to be a little under his level however my 4 yearold loved the prek although had trouble with the mouse. My other daughtet 2nd grade didnt seem to be intetested at all. She is the one with trouble in phonics. I want to have a succesful homeschool year unluke before and iam afraid this might not be right for us or is it? Any experienced homeschool moms please help!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You might be interested in our Special Needs forum.

In all our years of homeschooling, I have yet to find a curriculum that my children NEVER complained about doing. Some days, they just aren't in the mood. They know there are some things that must be done every day, whether they feel like it or not.

That said, if you use A Beka the way the teacher's manuals expect you to use it . . . yikes! You and your kids will burn out quickly. It's intended to be an advanced curriculum for a private school, so there's a lot of "busy work" to keep kids occupied while the teacher works with other students. There's also a lot of one-on-one teaching required. I like some of their student text books for the lower grades (third grade and below), but we just read a few pages a day and discuss what we've read, along with any questions in the text.

Of course, no one can tell you for sure whether T4L is right for you. Be sure you tried some of the text-based lessons, too. Your son who likes video games might be less than thrilled with those lessons. My kids love them because, even though they aren't animated, they can still click on words to hear them pronounced and get immediate feedback when they answer questions. In addition, there is less reading than in typical text books . . . always a plus in my kids' opinion! You can download software to have the text-based lessons read to your chidren.

If your second grader is having difficulty with phonics, don't think you have to start her in second grade language arts. I never have told my kids that "level" corresponds to "grade" in Time4Learning. They do a few lessons from each level "to help me decide which level is right for them", and that's where I put them. When they complete a level and are ready to move up, they feel they've accomplished something . . . even if they're a fifth grader, who just completed level three math. (I did once have a fifth grader working in third grade math and sixth grade language.)

If I had a second grader who was really struggling with phonics, I'd start her in level one language arts. I can't say enough about T4L's phonics program! Has your daughter tried other (more boring!) phonics? Most kids who have are eager to trade in the paper phonics curriculum for Time4Learning.

Good luck to you as you make your decision. Remember, you can always sign up to try this for two weeks. If it isn't working, cancel before the two weeks is up and your money will be refunded.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 08-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi nfink4, I have to agree with Kelly about Abeka. I taught Abeka in private school. It IS NOT one of my favorites. It is heavy on busywork (workbook pages) and does not appeal to different learning styles. It is drill, drill, drill. In other words, you will have to do lots of memorization of rules and such. The history and science are o.k. I truly believe your kids will HATE using Abeka, but that is just my opinion.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Kelly gave you some good advice.

I just wanted to reiterate that in order for children to be successful you need to meet them where they are performing and move them forward as proficiency allows. Starting where they are and moving them ahead as they reach proficiency will also help them have a more positive reaction to their education. If the work is too difficult, they may become discouraged. If the work is too easy, they may become bored. This is incredibly true of the mastery subjects of reading and math.

For both of your children place them at the LA and math level where they can actively engage the material. If this means that your son is a level ahead of his stated grade and your daughter is a level behind her stated grade level, it will be fine. It is where they need to be in order to move forward with proficiency. Also, because your daughter is older and has previously worked with phonics, she will move through the material more quickly than a child who is seeing the material for the first time. This foundation is important. If you attempt to jump ahead just so that her level and grade will match, she may become discouraged and frustrated by her inability to move forward. Going one step back with her will move her ahead with greater ability to achieve proficiency and ultimately may even move her forward with proficiency more quickly than allowing her to languish at a level where she is unprepared to meet expectations.

Social studies and science are survey subjects and can be dealt with a little differently. While an individual can achieve mastery of addition, a single person will never know all there is to know about social studies or science. A historian may spend his entire life studying the Civil War or the Reformation. A scientist may devote his entire life to studying the causes of cancer. With this in mind, science and social studies topics don't have to be at the highest level of reading that a child can understand. Many families with elementary school children study social studies and science topics as a family. They just let the younger kids catch whatever they can and view it as an initial presentation and then expect more research and/or writing from the older children.

So, if your son enjoys the animated science, it will be fine if he wants to start with the first grade lessons and move forward as quickly as he is able. After all there are only 16 science activities in level 1 and 15 in level two. After 1 and 2, he could just move forward only doing the science activities that are animated. You could even do this as a family! With social studies, I may would just leave your son at grade level and, if it interested him, have him do extra research and/or writing.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 08-25-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

inspiredlife is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    If I had a second grader who was really struggling with phonics, I'd start her in level one language arts. I can't say enough about T4L's phonics program! Has your daughter tried other (more boring!) phonics? Most kids who have are eager to trade in the paper phonics curriculum for Time4Learning.]
    I will second that! Our second grader who is working through T4L Level 1 Language Arts previously struggled through K12's Phonics curricula with little success. She much prefers the interactive fun learning style of T4L versus the book work heavy style of the K12 phonics curriculum.

Tanya