Kindergarten Language Arts
    clopin0 is offline Junior Member

Default Kindergarten Language Arts

I must say that my son (age 3-1/2) loves T4L! He is currently working on the kindergarten level. He is always asking to do his math work on the computer and loves all of the math worksheets. I am a college math instructor, so of course, this makes me extremely happy ! However, I am slightly disappointd with the lack of resources in the language arts program. He enjoys the animated lessons, but I would like for him to have some worksheets corresponding to the lessons. For example, he's currently working on the sights and sounds of letters m and s. Worksheets that are similar to the questions asked in the lessons (such as which word begins with the m sound or practice writing the letter m) would be extremely helpful. Just a suggestion.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! It's nice to hear from you.

As a computer-based program, I was surprised to find all of the printable resources that Time4Learning provides with the lessons.

Kindergarten language arts provides printable versions of the readers presented in the online lessons. To view them, log in as a parent. Click on See the Answer Keys and Teaching Guides. The books are under the category "Kindergarten Language Arts" and they are all labeled "Sounds, Letters, and Words".

Many people feel that young children learn best through hands-on experiences. For example, if your child's animated lessons feature the letter "M", you can have him look through the newspaper or magazines and circle all of the letter m's that he can find. Another day, you can have him cut out pictures that begin with the letter "m" and paste them on a piece of construction paper. Later, you can walk around the house with him and have him put those colored labeling dots that you find in office supply stores on your computer MOUSE, the MILK in your refrigerator, and your kitchen MOP!

There are some lessons in Time4Learning's kindergarten program that instruct your child in tracing letters with his mouse. When the strokes are made properly, that part of the letter changes color.

Some parents who want worksheets at this level use http://www.pencilpete.com or http://www.learningpage.com .

Pencil Pete is an inexpensive, downloadable penmanship program that provides animated instruction in forming each letter, as well as printable worksheets for the student's practice.

Learningpage provides printable worksheets from preschool through third grade. The "Theme" worksheets are for language arts, science, and math. The "Basics" include penmanship worksheets. You must register to use the site, but it is free.

I hope this has given you a few additional resources. We appreciate your feedback!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

clopin0 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the great ideas! I'll check out those other websites.