LA help!!

Thread: LA help!!

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default LA help!!

Well, we are starting to encounter lessons that the kids find hard and I am having the worst time explaining things. We have made it to the "think aloud" or think it through section in LA.

How in the world do I explain these things? They come easy to me, as I love LA. I end up frustrated, the child in tears...

Take summarizing for example. The student is supposed to take notes on each paragraph. Well after a disaster w/ one son, I decided not to push it w/ dd. I didn't say anything when she didn't take any notes.

Well, she was not able to answer the questions, so I made her go back and summarize each paragraph. Let's just say she is playing outside now with a tearstained face and I am here on the parent forum!!

I just don't have anything helpful to add to the explanations they are given. The child gets all teary and says "it's hard!" Then I get frustrated w/ myself because I can't explain it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sincerely, Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sometimes it helps to have a little practice first. Can you read her short passages from "easy" books that she is already familiar with and summarize them yourself (aloud)? Then, read her a passage and help her summarize it verbally.

Has she done okay on the rest of her language arts?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Last night in the middle of the night, it came to me. I have used a "who what when where why" form to help them remember what they read and I should tell them to do it w/ summarizing too. Just answer the "5 Ws" for each paragraph.

Yes, every child is in the level they belong in, I am sure of that. If I lowered her level, she'd be in 2nd and that is too low. They are just finding it hard. I am afraid they take after their mother sometimes and balk at the hard stuff.
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Last night in the middle of the night, it came to me.

It's funny how often that happens when parenting, isn't it?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!