Language Arts

Thread: Language Arts

cmtipton is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Language Arts

What does the ILA under the Language Arts lessons stand for? I see that it is topical but I wasn't sure what it standed for.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

It stands for "integrated". Instead of focusing on a single language arts concept, ILA lessons integrate the study of many concepts (vocabulary, fluency, reading comprehension, prewriting, literary response and analysis, and writing application). Concepts are studied within the context of a book (or a selection from a book).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

tricializ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    It stands for "integrated". Instead of focusing on a single language arts concept, ILA lessons integrate the study of many concepts (vocabulary, fluency, reading comprehension, prewriting, literary response and analysis, and writing application). Concepts are studied within the context of a book (or a selection from a book).
    Are you supposed to use them with each reading/phonics lesson (1st grade) or after you finish the phonics part? I just noticed them a few days ago as something different and now feel very disorganized.
    Tricia

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The curriculum is designed to be completed in sequence. Some parents do like to pick and choose, which is fine.

Usually, it's best to follow the sequence for first graders, who need to master their phonics/reading skills before moving on to other language arts activities.

You don't sound disorganized to me!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!