Language Arts Extensions
    kimd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Language Arts Extensions

My son is working at the first grade level in Language Arts. In each of the Language Arts Extensions they have a story in which first it is a "read to me", then a "read along", "read by myself" and lastly "I can read it". Then the last thing in that section is Comprehension of the story. Is this intended for the student to actually read the story four times? Or do you just choose where the child needs to begin? The problem my son has is that he can pretty much do the "read by myself" with very little help, but if he skips the first two stories, then it doesn't show the Chapter (or section) as complete. And he is really funny about everything being complete. Is there a way to mark the Chapter complete without going through the story four times. It seems a little repetitive if he is able to read it by himself, to sit there and have them read it to him.

Thanks so much. I absolutely love Time4Learning and I find new things everyday. I have struggled for two years with every kind of curriculum that just didn't seem to "fit" with us. I am absolutely loving this year and my son has made wonderful progress with Time4Learning.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Kim. Welcome to the forum! I'm glad Time4Learning is a good fit for your family.

The reading selections are intended to use in the way that best suits your own student. Many students of that age benefit from repetition . . . even though it would get very boring to an adult!

I am having my six-year-old, who reads quite well, do all of the story lesson activities. She picks up on things by LISTENING that she misses when concentrating on READING. Listening and reading are actually two different skills, and I like her to practice both. That's just my own decision for my child, though. You're the best judge of what will work with your own son.

Unfortunately, it can't be manually marked "Complete" without going through the lesson.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

kimd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you so much. That makes sense. I think I will have him do all four lessons so he gets listening and reading skills. That helps a lot.