Language Arts ILAs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Default Language Arts ILAs

So we are just starting the ILA for 5th gr. LA. I printed up the teachers guide which a million pages later I am thinking I didn't really have too. Live and learn. There is a lot to these activities and I am excited about them. I was just wondering how others plan/work them. Some of the activities look kind of long others short. Usually I have him do 3 stars a day and so on but it looks like if he did that plus the resource he would spend all day on LA. Is that the case or do you think we can stick with what he we have been doing. This is our first venture into the ILAs so any tips or suggestions would help greatly. Also would it be beneficial to Bren if I get the actual book from the library. I know T4L provides what he needs for the lesson but have others out there actually gotten the book itself and if so did you just read it or did you do more activities with it?

Thanks!
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

mom2ahrj is offline Member

Default Re: Language Arts ILAs

i just went through the same questions myself! lol! here's what i did for all the subjects: i printed out all the worksheets and put them in their own notebooks - now the kids can just open their "language arts" notebook, for example, each day and do any worksheets necessary

as for the language arts ILA teacher guides i printed out the first page, the page that has the "week-at-a-glance" (or whatever they call it), the vocabulary words, the worksheets, the answers and the extra suggested activities at the end - that's all - there is a copy of the story in the teacher's guide - i printed those out and put them all in a three ring binder for my dd to use as a "reading book" - i also printed smaller versions (half size) to make smaller "books" so that she can take them to her dad's and read them each weekend and build her fluency and reading skills

as for the "extra" stuff, we just do whatever the girls think might be fun or if i think they need more practice

hope this helps!

jenn

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

I am not sure either. Though I am sure I asked this question before last year when we were going through some catch-up stuff in Level 4. If I remember correctly Kelly stated that its assumed they will prbably read the book at some time but not neccessary for the lessons. With all the other "stuff" included to do I am trying not to worry about my DD not reading the entire book. What about all those darn vocabulary words! Oy vey! I am guessing just introducing them to them will help broaden their vocabulary horizons? :-\ I am not sure how we will proceed once we get there. I do remember last year doing the extra activities. I like the hands on factor this has. Especially for right now. I was starting to feel "uninvolved" with my oldest. (hence my book report post. This will suffice for now since she will be doing some more in depth stuff)

I feel sometimes with me being so hands off with her that she isnt learning. why I dont know.........its just how it makes me feel sometimes.
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The ILA lessons are designed to be used with the provided excerpt only. Buying or borrowing the book is not necessary. Some kids get interested in reading "the whole book", though, and then it's a good idea to find it for them.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Cathy is offline Senior Member

My 5th grader does one la & one la ext per day. that brings us right to the end of the school year. We take every Wed off and only school 4 days per week (140 days) IF they have resource papers to catch up on, or a great field trip pops up, that is what we use wed's for....oh and of course dr appt's!
    What vocabulary words are you all talking about? I haven't noticed them......so far he is doing a lot of grammar stuff.

mamasaba is offline Junior Member

Hi mom2ahrj
    Where are you getting all this stuff from?
    "as for the language arts ILA teacher guides i printed out the first page, the page that has the "week-at-a-glance" (or whatever they call it), the vocabulary words, the worksheets, the answers and the extra suggested activities at the end - that's all - there is a copy of the story in the teacher's guide - i printed those out and put them all in a three ring binder for my dd to use as a "reading book" - i also printed smaller versions (half size) to make smaller "books""
    Thanks in Advance for your reply
    Dinah Beverly(Mamasaba)

ambertopaz75 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy
    What vocabulary words are you all talking about? I haven't noticed them......so far he is doing a lot of grammar stuff.

When you get to the ILA's in Language arts. They have a resource sheet for you to print out with the vocab words on it.
    Amber
    13y/o son with PDD-NOS

Cathy is offline Senior Member

Geez I hate to sound so dumb, but what is ILA's? I'm feeling really inadequate right now

mamasaba is offline Junior Member

Hi Cathy
    ILA is under Lang Arts after the State Simulation Assessments
    You don't have to wait until after you do State Simulation Assessments to do ILA (well I didn't)

mom2ahrj is offline Member

i have no idea what ILA is an abbreviation for but it is tagged onto the title for some of the lessons in language arts extension - i'd love to know what it means because i feel kinda dumb for not knowing! lol!

as for where to get the worksheets, etc. when you open the lesson plans from the parents' login, if there are those types of materials for a lesson it will either display a little box with a W in it next to the lesson or on the far right where there is a little box with a Q for quizzes and a T for tests, there might also be a box with a little apple in it - click on the apple and it will open up a pdf file that is a resource packet - it's just full of great stuff: worksheets, vocabulary lists, extension activities, etc! i wish they had them for all the subjects but so far i've only seen them for language arts ext.

hope that helps!

jenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast