Language Arts or Language Arts Extensions
    maryc927 is offline Member

Default Language Arts or Language Arts Extensions

Our kids started with Time4Learning in March of this year, so I had them doing both their language arts and language arts extensions assignments just to make sure that they got them in. But I'm wondering if that's how they should be done or if they should be done separately? Let me explain...should the language arts assignments be completed first or vice versa should the language arts extensions be done before the others?

Thanks for any help you can give me and have a great night!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Part of it depends on what level they're on and how you choose to do it. At one point I was having them do the work at the same time, but now (level 5 and 6) I have them do all teh LA before the LAX.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

There is not one "right" way to do it, but my preferred method is to have my kids do the core language arts first, followed by the extensions, in first and second grade. Since this is a frequent question, I'll copy and paste my reasons below:

In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, they do language arts and language arts extensions simultaneously.

I have three reasons for not doing them simultaneously until third grade:

1. In grades one and two, the language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

2. The language arts extensions in grades one and two are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

3. Both the language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done concurrently, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

maryc927 is offline Member

Default Language Arts or Language Arts Ext.

Thanks so much for your responses, Ladies. No sooner did I finish posting my question than did I find another request with an answer to it.

I have actually cut back on the kids' lessons some and started doing just the Language Arts now until we finish them. Then, we'll get back into doing the Extension part of things, it seems to work out better for us, at least right now since we school year round for the most part anyway.

I like it better this way and the kids seem to like it better this way as well.

By the way, I really like the additions on the website that I've seen so far...the kids seem to like these also, at least for now.