Language arts vs language arts extensions?
    momofbksk is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Language arts vs language arts extensions?

I'm not sure I understand the difference between these two? Do we do a lesson of each every day, or a week of one then the other? Does the LA extensions correlate with the LA? Thanks, Shannah

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Language Extensions is grammar and Language is more the literature type stuff. As far as how many lessons to do,
    here is a worksheet to help you figure out how many to do each day in order to complete the subject by the end of the year. Also, here is a link to a Hints and Help page for using T4L. And, here is a Getting Started Guide. Finally, here is a link with a worksheet for figuring out how many lessons you might want to complete daily in order to finish by the end of your year.
    Last edited by jpenn; 08-30-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Here are my recommendations for first and second grade language arts:

In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, they do language arts and language arts extensions simultaneously.

I have three reasons for not doing them simultaneously until third grade:

1. In grades one and two, the language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

2. The language arts extensions in grades one and two are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

3. Both the language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done concurrently, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.

FIRST GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS

Scheduling – 376 online lesson activities, which INCLUDE necessary quizzes and tests. (Quizzes and tests are incorporated into the daily activities. They are not separately indicated by their own icon at the bottom of the page as in some other subjects.)

Aim for four to five online lesson activities per day, during the first half of the school year (first semester) only. The student can usually do four activities, but it will be necessary for the student to complete five activities on 24 days throughout the first semester in order to finish the program during one semester (80 school days).

FIRST GRADE LANGUAGE ARTS EXTENSIONS

Scheduling – 289 or 223 online lesson activities (see Note, below), 182 or 116 worksheets (see Note, below), 44 quizzes, 22 tests

Aim for 4-5 online lesson activities, worksheets, quizzes, or tests per day, during the final half of the school year (second semester) only. The student can usually do four activities, but it will be necessary for the student to complete five activities on 19 days throughout the second semester in order to finish the program during one semester (80 school days).

Note: Each of the 22 chapters in the first grade language arts extensions includes a reader presented in four different formats: Read to Me, Read Along, Read By Myself, and I Can Read. This is so your student can use the version appropriate for his reading ability. It is not necessary for your child to read the same story four times. The schedule suggested is based on only requiring your student to read one version of each story, which brings the total to 223 online lesson activities instead of 289.

In addition, the worksheets provided for each version of the story are exactly the same, bringing the unique worksheet total to 116. This schedule is based on only doing each story-related worksheet once.

Information to assist you in determining the best reader format for your child:

Read to Me – The program reads the story aloud to the student.

Read Along – The program reads the story somewhat more slowly and highlights each word as it is read.

Read By Myself – The program allows the student to read the story without aid, but selected difficult words are highlighted and the student can click on them to hear them read aloud. Other words are highlighted in an alternate color and students can click on them to hear them pronounced and defined.

I Can Read – The program allows the student to read independently, but he can click on any word that he has difficulty with to hear it read aloud.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

akpeach is offline Junior Member

That makes so much more sense. When we logged in to do the next language arts lesson today, my son was upset that it was the same story again! But I made him trudge through it - twice! So now I know we'll just pick which way is appropriate for him (which I think is the read along) and go from there. Also, I appreciate the advice about only doing the language arts for now and leaving the LE for later when the science/social studies run out. That makes a ton of sense!!

Bryan is offline Junior Member

thankyou for this information. I just wish i had thought to ask about it last year ! Oh well live and learn.