Laptop, computer, Tablet? What to get?

Default Laptop, computer, Tablet? What to get?

So, may family has been using T4L for about 2 months. We love it. My 2nd grade daughter is enjoying it. But, I use the computer alot for my work at home, so I am looking into getting the least expensive option. I wondered if others might have insight for me what would work the best. I know it obviously must be WIFI capable and use FLASH. But, what would you guys recommend? A laptop, or tablet, or????? What would be my best option for lowest price? Thanks!
    Kara
    Ohio

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Kara, I'm going to weigh in because we have used both over a number of years. Of course, every family will have their own combination that works best for them! As a second grader, my daughter (ADHD/gifted) needed a place to go to do her T4L, she needed to not have the general distractions of the room, and so at that time a desktop worked best for her.

Also, she is very energetic and messy and laptops over the years have just been too delicate, especially the $300 dollar variety. They are very tempting to get cheap during black Friday sales, etc, but over the last 4 years we have replaced (under warrantee most times) that cheap variety of computer on average about every 6 months. When it finally got to the point that the store didn't want to warrantee new computers for us so for the last 8 months my daughter has had no laptop, but did have a brand new desktop.

As an 8th/9th grader now, she really missed the laptop, and pushed just the right button when she stated that we sat together, each on a laptop, watching tv, and she was isolated in another room with the desktop, missing out on being with us. Heaven forbid that we intentionally isolate our teen during computer time, so she is back with a laptop!

I think it is up to you, but I think my preference for the "school" computer is a desktop. It means that there is a ready made place for school, necessary supplies can be at hand, etc. I think It was more important as a younger child to have a "school place". That is just my thoughts.

Remember that your daughter might do just fine on a laptop, different place in the house each day, enjoy the stimulation and distractions of whatever room she is in, and be very careful never to drop or spill crumbs or liquid in the laptop, but that was not our experience. The cheap laptops were just too delicate for my daughter!

P.S. Over the years we also tried a netbook (too slow) and a tablet (not enough functionality) my daughter is not patient enough to wait for things to load! Again, these were low end "cheap" machines for us to try!
    Last edited by MamaToHerRoo; 04-07-2014 at 10:07 AM.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaToHerRoo View Post
    Kara, I'm going to weigh in because we have used both over a number of years. Of course, every family will have their own combination that works best for them! As a second grader, my daughter (ADHD/gifted) needed a place to go to do her T4L, she needed to not have the general distractions of the room, and so at that time a desktop worked best for her.

Also, she is very energetic and messy and laptops over the years have just been too delicate, especially the $300 dollar variety. They are very tempting to get cheap during black Friday sales, etc, but over the last 4 years we have replaced (under warrantee most times) that cheap variety of computer on average about every 6 months. When it finally got to the point that the store didn't want to warrantee new computers for us so for the last 8 months my daughter has had no laptop, but did have a brand new desktop.

As an 8th/9th grader now, she really missed the laptop, and pushed just the right button when she stated that we sat together, each on a laptop, watching tv, and she was isolated in another room with the desktop, missing out on being with us. Heaven forbid that we intentionally isolate our teen during computer time, so she is back with a laptop!

I think it is up to you, but I think my preference for the "school" computer is a desktop. It means that there is a ready made place for school, necessary supplies can be at hand, etc. I think It was more important as a younger child to have a "school place". That is just my thoughts.

Remember that your daughter might do just fine on a laptop, different place in the house each day, enjoy the stimulation and distractions of whatever room she is in, and be very careful never to drop or spill crumbs or liquid in the laptop, but that was not our experience. The cheap laptops were just too delicate for my daughter!

P.S. Over the years we also tried a netbook (too slow) and a tablet (not enough functionality) my daughter is not patient enough to wait for things to load! Again, these were low end "cheap" machines for us to try!

Thank you so much for your input!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I hope others will weigh in on this too! Let us know what you decide.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!