Lesson Planning Question
    shappa is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Lesson Planning Question

Hi Everyone!

I just enrolled my two daughters in T4L (5th grd and 3rd grd), and I have a question. In reviewing the web site prior to enrolling, I assumed I'd be able to either select the specific lessons I'd like them to complete, or at least select the topics. I haven't been able to locate any area of the site that allows me to specifically assign lessons. I did come across a parent post that said you can't assign/unassign lessons.

If that's the case, how can I ensure my kids are working on the areas in which they need the most help? I want them to be able to work independently, without my telling them what to do. But my oldest likes decimals and hates fractions--so I know which one she'll choose if I leave it to her.

The info I've found thus far looks like I'd have to provide a list of lessons that they manually key in to work on. I thought I could assign them on T4L, and those would be the lessons they had to choose from when they logged on.

Any suggestions?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, and welcome!

Be sure to read the Getting Started Guide and all of the Hints beneath the Help/FAQs tab at the top of this page. Time4Learning provides a flashing arrow to guide the student along the lesson path. Your child simply clicks on a subject, such as "Math", and then clicks where the arrow is pointing untils he reaches an activity. (The arrow will point to chapter, then lesson, and finally the lesson activity.)

When she finishes the activity, she repeats the process. Each icon is marked as completed when she is finished, so you can see she hasn't skipped any. You can try this process out yourself. Just don't finish any lesson activity, so your preview won't show up on her reports.

If you do not want to follow the typically recommended sequence, then you do have to locate the lesson activity numbers you want her to work on and have her manually type them into the Activity Finder.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 06-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

shappa is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, Kelly. I appreciate your reply.

I guess I was trying to figure out if there was a way to prevent my daughter from spending all her time on the various science lessons, for example, and never doing math lessons. Given the number of lessons for each subject, there are certainly enough where she can spend a couple of hours each day on only those she likes--not necessarily those she needs. (We're using T4L for summer enrichment, so I'm only giving her 1 hour per day.)

I was hoping there was a way to "assign" the lessons I wanted her to focus on, aside from a written out plan. Since this is "extra work" for the summer, I want this to seem like playtime on the PC, without a chart she has to follow.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You might consider telling her she needs to choose, for example, three activities from language arts, two from math, and so forth.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!