Limiting Lesson Quizzes to only 1 try?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mlafroth

Thread: Limiting Lesson Quizzes to only 1 try?

reb621 is offline Member

Default Limiting Lesson Quizzes to only 1 try?

Is it possible to set up my children's accounts so that they may ONLY take each Lesson Quiz ONCE rather than taking it over and over until they pass?

The family rule is: fail it once, it means you didn't pay enough attention or take good enough notes, so you need to redo the lesson, take better notes, and try the quiz again.

Flunk it a 2nd time (after taking better notes), it means you really didn't understand the lesson and need Mom's help. (Then I would redo the lesson (for a 3rd time) WITH them and they'll try the quiz a 3rd time with Mom sitting right there making sure they understand the questions and don't answer impulsively.)

However, I have very lazy children who don't want to have to rewatch the lesson over and over, so they'll take a quiz 6 or 7 times until they pass and I don't find out until I review their scores. And I have a feeling they are passing only because by then they've seen all of the questions and know which answers are NOT correct.

I'm tired of their cheating. (Because that's really what this is.) I want them to see the consequences of their laziness--flunking a quiz and not having the chance to redo, so having to take that failing grade. And after a few weeks of this and seeing that they'll fail the course and have to repeat the school year during the summer, that I won't just be moving them onto the next grade, my hope is that they begin to have some self-discipline and actually watch the lessons, take notes, and work hard at passing quizzes.

So is there a way to do this (limit quizzes to only one try---at least for the short term)?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

No, there isn't. Students always have access to all the material. We provide resources to help you decide what and how much to tell your student to do each day, but it's up to them to follow your instructions.

If they know you can easily check at the end of each day, maybe they will be less likely to try multiple times?

Some additional information that might help in your decision making is that tests and quizzes are usually a bit different each time they are attempted. This is because they draw from a bank of fifty to a hundred questions, presenting ten to twenty-five random questions from this bank on each attempt.

Good luck to you as you decide the best way to proceed with your kids!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

SCameron is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am having the exact same problem with my son, He takes quizzes anywhere from 2-6 times before getting a 70 or above on them and I know he's just taking them over and over until he can just use the process of elimination to pass. My son is 15 and knows what I expect of him but absolutely refuses to actually put in the work. My only answer right now is to sit through every lesson with him to make sure he's paying attention to it but I really need him to start doing these things without me needing to do it with him. I'm not sure how to make that happen but it was nice to read someone else post with the same problem!

reb621 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by SCameron View Post
    "...and I know he's just taking them over and over until he can just use the process of elimination to pass. My son is 15 and knows what I expect of him but absolutely refuses to actually put in the work. My only answer right now is to sit through every lesson with him"
    I've asked similar questions in the past (we're in year 5 of homeschooling (about 4.5 with T4L), and that has been the only suggestion. Overall, my kids are pretty decent human beings, very polite with adults and have pretty good friendships with other caring kids, BUT they either don't "understand" that they WILL be caught and WILL suffer the consequences, or they simply don't care. The fact that my oldest (17) cries each time (we're at about once a month now that I catch them skipping quizzes and tests or taking quizzes 4-6+ times without redoing lessons), my middle (16) looks mad/"busted", and my youngest (13, who usually follows rules and understands logical consequences) looks guilty and swears she'll never do it again, suggests that they really don't have their frontal lobes working as they should. They are extremely impulsive and immature in other ways, and I can't imagine what hijinks they'd get into in public high school. eek!

But mine all have FASD (fetal alcohol spectrum disorders) and are in various stages of recovery from Attachment Disorder (we adopted them at ages 7, 6, and 4 and started homeschooling after 5 horrible years of ineffective public schooling and major behavioral problems at school and home). So for mine it's likely due to not really getting cause-effect, lack of long-term planning ("if I skip, I'll get caught, and then Mom and Dad will take away X and I'll be mad"--they just don't think that way.), and not understanding that every action has a consequence, good or bad.

They have learned a ton on T4L (way more than first 5 years of public schooling), but the most important lessons (follow instructions, respect authority) seem to go unheeded and we worry that they'll be fired from job after job for neglecting to follow work rules. That's if they can ever get through high school. As it is they have skipped so many lessons, quizzes, and tests in Math and English that they'll be working all summer and maybe into Fall to complete 9th grade! Grr.

I'm going to try to do the weekly scheduler in here again and make them check items off each day (they were supposed to be checking off the master list of ALL lessons, quizzes, and tests for each subject, but that habit lasted less than 2 weeks before they started skipping items, "forgetting" to mark off what they had completed, etc.). If this fails (if they skip the assigned lessons and quizzes or do them out of order), we may have to consider other options. (Connections Academy comes to mind. Many more hours glued to a computer, alot more work, and another adult who can bark orders at them instead of Mom!) I might also check into public summer school! Ha!

SCameron is offline Junior Member Newbie

We switched over to homeschooling a few years ago after just finally getting fed up with the public school system, My son's hardest subject (and mine) is History. After reading some other threads on the forum I decided to print out the transcript for one of the history lessons and see if he didn't do better on the quiz after having it on paper. I went through it after him to see what he had decided to highlight as important information, he got quite frustrated with the 5 question quiz afterwards so I went to go see what was up, That particular quiz had 4 of the 5 questions about a section from the lesson that wasn't even on the transcript. We've decided for now to focus on one subject at a time, hoping that the information will stay fresh that way instead of getting mixed up with other subjects. I just wanted to warn you about the transcript thing in case you try that route too!

Mlafroth is offline Junior Member Newbie

I'm pretty new to Time4Learning high school, but I really don't blame your kids for not wanting to watch the entire lesson again. I have watched and enjoyed several of the lessons with my kids (and on my own) but I don't always get all the answers right, even though I'm paying attention,sometimes it's just the way the question is asked. If it was a textbook, I could go read that small section again to make sure I understand, but that isn't an option with this mode of learning...I definitely wouldn't feel like watching the entire lesson again if I watched and understood most of it (wish we could jump to a particular section when we miss). Now, I'm not saying they are paying attention...just saying it's possible to pay attention and still miss stuff. I also think that getting an answer wrong can be a good way to learn something we don't know....anyway, just throwing a different viewpoint out there. I don't think it means your kids are super lazy, they just don't want to keep repeating something that isn't exactly fun or engaging. I think it's normal human nature. Would you want to watch the lessons over and over? Our kids could just keep the bad score and say to heck with it, but the fact that they keep trying to improve their score by re-taking multiple times is a good thing...I think. Like I said, I'm new, but I wouldn't label them as cheaters or get upset with them. I would kindly say, "So what do you think is happening here? Why do you think you're scoring so poorly the first time? Is the lesson not teaching well? Are you not understanding? Are you spacing out? Is there anything you could do different to score better the first time?
    Yellowrosedallas likes this.