A link to specifically 8th grade?
    leslierussell is offline Junior Member

Exclamation A link to specifically 8th grade?

The animation in the demo seems a little imature for him as an eighth grade student. Is anybody using this grade level that would like to share or know of a direct link to only the 8th grade curriculum that I might view. I simply do not want him to begin this journey with the thought that the material is too juvenile for his tastes. I believe he will make an effort to overlook this aspect because they are desperate to return from public to home learning at this point.

I am appreciative of any and all input. I know my 5th grade student will have no problem with the graphics but as I mentioned, the older boy is put off by the "cartoons". He is a bit on the serious side.

Please share any and all I am grateful. [email protected] (Leslie)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Leslie. You must be referring to the two social studies demos, with the cartoon "Kirby" as narrator. I actually use that social studies level for my high school freshmen, because it's a really great overview of American history. The lessons are each introduced by Kirby, but the intro is just a few seconds, and then it goes on to a more serious lesson. They're among my children's favorites!

Time4Learning provides lessons in a great variety of format. My kids have responded to that so much better than with other online programs we've tried, where all the lessons look basically the same.

In the 6th-8th grade demos, click on the science demo and you'll see an example of a text-based lesson, which has a very grown-up feel. Most of the science lessons are like that.

In the 6th-8th grade demos, click on the math demo. The math at the eighth grade level isn't very cartoon-y, either.

There isn't a demo of language arts at that level, but the first few language arts lessons are VERY cartoon-y and silly. My kids love them, although the older ones won't do them in front of friends. The silliness is a very effective way to make the lessons memorable, so concepts "stick". A little ways into the language arts program, the student encounters literature-based language arts lessons, which are less silly. The language arts EXTENSIONS are all text-based, similar to the science demo I directed you to above.

You could sign your fifth grader up first, and then use the Activity Finder to view some of the lessons for older students. Be sure you don't mark the lessons complete during your preview, so they don't show up on your fifth grader's reports. Input lesson activity number R8027 to view one of the sillier language arts lessons. The first 28 language arts lesson activities are like this. Then, they go on to the awesome, awesome literature-based units. (Can you tell we like those?) Input lesson activity numbers 8271 and 8277 to view the online book and a comprehension activity. The writing activity for this unit is writing a college application letter!

I hope this helps you decide whether T4L will be a good fit for your older student.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

leslierussell is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks so much!

Thanks so much Kelly!

You answered my questions and then some. I have taught at home off and on for years now so I know how busy you are and I appreciate you taking the time to share with me and mine.

Leslie