Made A Decision Today!
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Made A Decision Today!

This is our first week back to school after a lengthy unplanned break due to kidney stones and recovery. My goal was to give my plans one month and then re-evaluate. I am still going to do that because I paid for some of these things and want to get my use out of them, but my big AHA was that I'm cutting my A.C.E. loose.

Oh how hard this is. You see, I love A.C.E. There was a season before Time4Learning was around that I used this successfully with my children and it gave me the freedom I needed compared to what we had been doing. The problem is that you don't really need to use both. Time4Learning helps my children process and work more independently so it's the winner.

I think the reason I considered it was because my oldest son graduated this past year and I did lots of reflecting and remembering and I was having a hard time of doing things differently and letting go. (I tend to be a bit sentimental)

I am so happy now that I've simplified. Our days are filled with yummy snuggle time, great literature, fun field trips, swimming, beach, LIVING!

My two youngest sons schedules are this:

Five In A Row Unit Studies along with T4L'ing SS/Science
    Time4Learning Math
    Time4Learning Language Arts
    HandWriting Without Tears
    Bible

My older son:

Total Language Plus Unit Study along with T4L'ing SS/Science
    Time4Learning Math
    Time4Learning Language Arts
    Cursive Handwriting without tears
    Bible

I adore homeschooling. I love when I let go and let the Lord guide and direct our decisions. Keeping it simple makes the journey more joyful for us

Has anyone else started? How is it going?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We don't start until after Labor Day. I am a planner and an organizer and I need lots of time in the summer to get everything put together. Being prepared helps me with the "keep it simple" part during the school year.

We do one "big" thing each year, together as a family, and keep the rest simple. Last year, our big thing was lapbooking with Five in a Row. This year, it will be notebooking with Mystery of History.

My younger ones are attending all of the VBSs in our area. That's school enough for us when temps are in the nineties.

About this time of year, everyone starts getting excited for school to start again. It would probably be better if I kept everyone one a schedule throughout the summer, instead of having a strict schedule during school months and an "anything goes" attitude in the summer. My kids have been staying up way too late.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i hate it when i'm stuck between two responses, so i'm going to go with both!

1) such an ominous title for a post filled with yay!!! you scared me for a minute there. thought maybe you were going to dye your hair blue or something insane like that!!!

2) whoa!!! next thing you know you'll be cutting up credit cards and burning certain pieces of clothing

either way - sounds like you're doing well and you're really excited for what's going to come up this year, and i'm excited for you!!! i love you!!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yca View Post
    i hate it when i'm stuck between two responses, so i'm going to go with both!

1) such an ominous title for a post filled with yay!!! you scared me for a minute there. thought maybe you were going to dye your hair blue or something insane like that!!!

2) whoa!!! next thing you know you'll be cutting up credit cards and burning certain pieces of clothing

either way - sounds like you're doing well and you're really excited for what's going to come up this year, and i'm excited for you!!! i love you!!!!
    Oh Jess, I so LOVE you!!!! If we were back in the 60's I'd be burning my bra! (laughing)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

ROFL ... i threaten to, but ... well ... you know ....

love you too, mm3 ... every day!!!
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Shoestringmama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default newbie here

Hi, Let me start out saying I feel I know you mamamary, cause I have spent days reading your inspiring and encouraging words to many. I have homeschooled many moons ago,2 daughters. I can't say I was successful. I can say I was on my knees all of the way. I have been blessed with 3 very strong-willed rebels. maybe that has something to do with living in TX.. Now I am attempting this again, this time with my sweet 13 yr. son,Josh. You and the Lord have given me a desire to stick this out. I am grateful to have found this T4L. I have used A.C.E. in the path and too loved it. My son, however will not comply, too much writing. Due to the impact of the influence of the bullying he endured in PS, I have alot of work to do on his confidence. I feel lost,like Little Bo Peep. I am doing everything on a shoestring and prayer. Husband just went through company folding, got hired the next day by the larger fish that ate the previous fish, as yesterday he came home and informed me that his hrs. were cut to 20 a wk. This all took place since July 2,2010, yippi! I am horrible on the computer, it took me 2 weeks to get the nerve introduce myself. This is a brave step I have taken. This is all for now.