Math Question

Thread: Math Question

Tracy210 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Math Question

We began using T4L two weeks ago. At the time I was planning to continue the math program we have used for the past several years, but my son enjoyed other subjects on T4L so much that we thought we would try the math also. We are only 4 days into it, but I'm concerned that there doesn't seem to be review of lessons. Each lesson he has done has been a new topic and does not review anything from the first 4 lessons. Will there be review in future lessons?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Math Question

It sounds like your previous program used a spiral review. Time4Learning is based on mastery. A spiral review touches on previously studied concepts throughout the school year. A program based on mastery reviews from year-to-year. For example, one year the student might be doing single-digit multiplication. The following school year (or later in the program), the student will review single-digit multiplication and begin double-digit multiplication.

A Beka and Horizons are examples of programs that use a spiral review. Alpha Omega Lifepacs and MathUSee are based on mastery. My own children found the spiral review distracting. Different methods work for different learners.

Be sure you are using the printable worksheets. Also, if your child is in grades 4-6, you will find a chapter at the end of the program called "Practice". You can use the lessons found there in several ways: You can assign them as extra practice as needed throughout the year, you can save them until the end of the year so your student receives a review of material covered that year, or you can not use those lessons at all.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Lisa's7 is offline Member

I sometimes back track and have my ds retake a quiz from an earlier chapter for review. The quizzes and tests change so he hasn't seen the question before.

Happy Farmer is offline Junior Member

Hi Tracy,

I don't know what grade level you're at, but Math is my 6 yr olds weakness. I have found that if we do T4L, then the next day reinforce it with manipulatives, he gets it better. We have used Math dice games and Couisenaire rods. Sugar cubes or buttons or anything will be just as good. You say "several years" so you're probably beyond this. I hope this will help somebody.

Karen

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Kinesthetic learners usually benefit from hands-on practice their whole lives. The manipulatives you've suggested are great.

My kids have never been able to understand place value unless it was illustrated with something "real". I've used single straws for ones and ten straws, bundled together loosely with a rubber band, for "tens". Then, we can build their math problems with the straws. Later, when they begin regrouping, we can act out "carrying" or "borrowing" with the straws. We've also used popsicle sticks.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!