My 7th grade son with Aspergers
    chemcindy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default My 7th grade son with Aspergers

We're from Texas. We've used T4L for our 7th grade son for the last two weeks. I think so far so good. Biggest problem is motivating him. He has Asperger's plus something else...but we're still working on that. My question is I don't think he's getting enough done each day. I realize I should stop stressing.....this is better than the school calling me every day to either calm him down or pick him up. I work full time, but I thought since he is 14 we could structure this so that he would do better at home than at school.

Maybe I should give some background. Last year, in 6th grade when he was 12 and on 3 different medications that were really too much, he overreacted on the playground to a kid that pushed him and as I understood it [THREE] teachers decided they needed to restrain him. If any of you have kids with AS you will understand that he freaked out about being restrained and bit the assistant teacher on the little finger. His main teacher decided to have him arrested to teach him a lesson. One of her comments during this time was that he could behave better if he wanted to.

We removed him from all medications over Xmas except adderall and he had a relatively good spring at the middle school with a different teacher. The legal charges were ultimately reduced to a misdemenor (as opposed to a felony assault on a public servant)

We thought he would have a better year during 7th grade, but he only made it about 3 weeks before things fell apart. He had been in an adaptive behavior class with other kids with behavior problems. I believe their behaviors sent him over the edge. He was starting to tantrum and tip over desks nearly every day for the month of Oct. I was called to the school nearly every day and most of the time asked to take him home. He wasn't getting any education. Because he is on probation for the charge from last year, plus he wasn't getting any real education, we decided to take him out of school at the end of the last 6 weeks grading period.

I'll stop rambling now. Obviously, I'm upset that the system seems to have failed us. I'm hoping this will be a better fit for my son.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Cindy. Welcome! Many parents of children with Asperger's are successfully using Time4Learning. Check out the Special Needs forum and this link.

Nice to have you with us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Cindy,

Congratulations! I think you've made a wonderful choice for your son. Both in homeschooling him AND using Time4Learning! I definitely would let him "de-school" a little bit as he adjusts to T4L'ing, but understand how scary that process can be. (understanding smile)

Also, check with your homeschool support groups and find out when your annual conventions happen in your state? I highly recommend this as you will find all kinda of support for whatever your looking for.

Last year, I attended three workshops for children with processing issues (we have some of these) plus workshops just to encourage "me" in "my" journey. It's a wonderful time of refreshment and education.

Blessings to you,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

LaurieK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default re:My 7th grade son with Aspergers

Hello, I'm LaurieK and fairly new to this site. My ds is in 4th grade this year and I pulled him out of ps last year at Christmas break. Long stories, for another post.

I know a little about AS from different friends with their boys having AS. I think your son will be less frustrated and hopefully start to learn again using this program. I have just been letting my son use this at different intervals and he seems to be enjoying this more and more. At first he fought me on it so I slowed down my expectations. I'm still trying to figure things out myself.

You didn't mention how long his school day will be and will he be home mostly alone. My concern here would be for isolation. I have had friends who tried hsing but didn't get plugged in enough with hs support group activities and I think it affected their journey. Just something to keep in mind.

Best of Luck for you,
    LaurieK

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Re: son with Aspergers

Hi! And Welcome to T4L! My son is in 6th grade and has Anxiety, Dyslexia, and some mild Aspergers. This is our 2nd year with T4L, and it has been a true godsend. I think the thing that has helped my son the most has been structure. After some needed "de-schooling" time of relaxing into the homeschool situation, you might consider structuring his schooling into time slots. I require that my son work about an hour on math each day, and about 45 minutes on language arts. As long as he is sticking with his work, I don't stress out about how MUCH he's accomplished, just that he is progressing. He takes the lessons in order, and although he may be behind compared to other kids in his grade, he is definitely making progress, and that's all that is really important, I think.
    Hope you find just what works best for you and your son. T4L is a terrific program for kids with Aspergers, and I know you will see quite a difference in your son over time. Good luck!

Kerry
    Homeschooling in NC since 1999
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/