my initial reaction
    JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default my initial reaction

Today was our first day using t4l. I am overall very excited and pleased w/ the program. It is so great to sit behind each child as they take their turn and help them!! They each only did a few minutes, but so far it seems to me that t4l explains it well enough for the child to understand.

However, the science and Social studies demos were much more colorful (and had sound)than the sci and social studies my kids are now doing. Maybe it is the levels my kids are doing, but so far I have seen white screens w/ black type. No bright colors or voices teaching or reading the lesson.

Another thing that drew me to t4l was having Peedy parrot read to my child who has dyslexia. Well, the voice is too computer-ish and he can't understand it. sigh

I still have alot to learn and look forward to it!

Jennifer
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Jennifer,

I agree w/ the science/SS. Here is a suggestion? Use T4L'ing for Math and Lang arts and use ACE (christian and simple to implement) for S/SS?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jennifer. Nice to see you posting in the USING T4L section instead of the CONSIDERING it.

There is a bit of a learning curve for the parent, too. Hang in there. It'll be worth it.

The lower level science and social studies are much more animated than the upper level. I have found that my children enjoy even the upper level science and social studies, for several reasons. The reading selections are much shorter than what you might find in a typical textbook. They do a great job of teaching the essentials, without bogging the student down in details that he is unlikely to remember later. The reading assignments periodically include interactive learning activities, so the reading is far less "dry" and "boring" than a student might be accustomed to. And, every once in awhile, even in the higher grades, one of the more animated lessons gets "snuck" in.

Language arts remains animated and VERY goofy throughout eighth grade.

Math seems to incorporate the best of both worlds: animations and easy-to-understand text reading.

Looking forward to more of your impressions.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yes, it is good to be here in the MEMBER forum!!!

Well, the 3rd grade science is not animated, but my daughter did seem to enjoy the drawing assignments.

Mary, I am actually kind of glad sci and ss isn't as great as the LA and math, because then I would be tempted to give up on the science and history readings from Sonlight and I enjoy doing those. I feel like all of us get alot out of it.

Actually, I picked t4l SS levels for my kids that I thought would compliment what they are learning in SL.

I will ask here and if no one answers I will start a new thread:

What do I do if my child fails a test? (Actually, she skipped ahead and so I will just have her do it again when she comes to it, so I am really asking for next time)

Thanks!!

Jennifer

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Blog Entries

Tests may be done as many times as necessary. The program will average the percentage grade into the score after each attempt.

In most instances, test questions are pulled from a bank of questions, so the test is a little different each time. This is common practice, which is why teacher's manuals often include "alternate tests" for second and subsequent attempts. (It helps to assure the student is familiar with all of the material, and not just the few questions he knows will be on a test.)

Jennifer, I have my kids keep a science notebook (just a three-ring binder they have decorated). When they come to what we refer to as a "yellow rectangle", they highlight and print the activity instructions and then do their assignment on the printout. That way, I know what they have been instructed to do. They hole-punch the paper and put it in their science notebook.

Of course, sometimes the activity in the yellow rectangle is to be done on the computer. They don't print those.

Occasionally, they will come upon an activity that requires supplies (a science experiment). I have them print those, too, and we do the experiment the following day or whenever I get the supplies together. There aren't many supplies that are needed, and they are simple things (like tape and needles). Time4Learning is working on a science supply list, to aid in planning.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Do you have the child go over the lesson again? My son just failed a sci test.

thanks, Jennifer

Blog Entries

Families will differ in how they choose to handle this. I have my own children repeat the lesson, unless I can tell by looking at the test that they missed some simple concept that I can quickly explain.