My Wish List
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Wish List

gulfmiss is offline Member Newbie

Default My Wish List

We've been using T4L since the end of September and we love it BUT I do have a wish list, so here goes:

1. From the portfolio page--it would be nice if one could just click "enter" from the enter button on the computer after entering an activity number instead of having to move the hand over to the mouse. I know it's lazy, but it would still be nice!

2. It would be especially nice to have a feature in which the parent could preview a lesson without the portfolio summary showing that the lesson had been done---maybe from the parents-only section. My granddaughter has learned that she can go into a lesson without really reading or answering the questions and it will look like she has completed it. She's a sneaky little booger, but she's ADHD and always looking for the quick way out!

3. It would also be nice to have a print feature on the lessons so a parent could print out the entire activity/lesson. ..preferably without the photos. I usually read the lessons to my granddaughter for social studies and science because she is an auditory learner, but I like to have the lessons on paper. She looks at the computer while I look at what I've printed, but it's a chore to have to cut/clip and paste. I'm a retired teacher and guess I still need the security of paper, and I am looking for a one-step way to accomplish this.

4. I would also love to have a reader for the science and social studies lessons other than Peedy because I think he sounds too much like a robot and he is more distracting to my granddaughter than helpful. The readers for language arts are great and my granddaughter loves them. I do most of the reading but I'm also caring for her three year old brother each day and her two year old cousin two days a week and, selfishly speaking, it would be wonderful to have available for those times when I'm having to deal with them.

There may be some other things that will come to mind later, but that's my big wish list for now!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your input. It is valuable!

1. I'm not quite sure what you mean with this one. Can you explain a little further?

2. Options for parent preview are being explored. Meanwhile, remind your student that her test grades will "tell on her" if she doesn't read her lessons. Also, the amount of time she spends on a lesson appears on her report. When I saw my nephew had only spent six seconds on a social studies lesson, I had a looooong talk with him.

3. A built-in "Print" feature would be nice. It would have to come from the program developer. Of course, you wouldn't be able to print the flash-based, animated lessons. There is no need to cut-and-paste to print the text-based lessons. Just highlight the text you wish to print and press Control (Ctrl) + P. Then select Print Selection from the options and click Print. Print Selection may be called something else, depending on your printer, but there should be something similar. Only the highlighted text will print.

4. I agree. This comes up frequently, but I don't know if I've ever reported it as a "wish". I will today!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

amnehomeschool is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree with #4. Peedy the Parrot is very robotic and more animated. He is very hard to understand sometimes and my daughter has a really hard time reading to begin with, but she uses him and gets is done. A more realistic voice would be nice though. Brooke

One of the things I love about T4L is your speedy replies! With regard to number 1---on what I call the "blue page" where we are given the option of clicking on language arts, math, science or social studies there is a little box on the bottom left-hand corner where the activity number can be typed in the box. Instead of just hitting ENTER on my computer, I have to move my hand to the mouse and click. It's just a small thing but I usually enter or have my granddaughter enter the number because I'm always afraid if she clicks on the subject, it will show as a completion (circling star) because either I previewed the activity or she skimmed through it. It's noticable to me because we enter numbers at least ten times on most days.

With regard to checking her---I usually sit right there with her but sometimes I have to do something for one of the boys. She knows that I know and can check her, but the temptation for her is too great sometimes, I'm sorry to say. We've had the "discussion" but it's like she thinks I forget how it works. However, it's hard to trick an old teacher. LOL We're working on our work ethics every day!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my list. It's just nice to know that someone is "listening".

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Oh, I see what you mean. I'll have to go look at that. Usually a person would have the option of clicking or hitting the Enter button.

Time4Learning started in 2003, and it only went through third grade. It has grown and changed a lot since then, and most of the changes have been as a result of "listening" to users.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

sisymay is offline Member

Gulfmiss wrote -- My granddaughter has learned that she can go into a lesson without really reading or answering the questions and it will look like she has completed it.

In the section where you can see what has been done for the day, it lists how much time was spent on each thing. SO, you can see how long she actually took doing a lesson.

JenniferJ is offline Member Regular

Default Re: My Wish List

Quote Originally Posted by gulfmiss
    4. I would also love to have a reader for the science and social studies lessons other than Peedy because I think he sounds too much like a robot and he is more distracting to my granddaughter than helpful. The readers for language arts are great and my granddaughter loves them. I do most of the reading but I'm also caring for her three year old brother each day and her two year old cousin two days a week and, selfishly speaking, it would be wonderful to have available for those times when I'm having to deal with them.

There may be some other things that will come to mind later, but that's my big wish list for now!
    A BIG OL DITTO on this one!!
    Mother to 4, teacher to 5
    3 kids using T4L: DD7, DS11 and the neighbor's grandson age 12

T4L helps me homeschool while dealing w/ ADD, ADHD, SPD, dyslexia,dysgraphia, low comprehension,LD

Default Another idea on my wish list

I would love for the lesson plans to indicate how many pages each activity is because there is such a range (from one to twenty in language arts extensions L4, for example.) That would really help me plan better.

Also, if the resource pages didn't have that bold blue line across the top (which I like visually) it would save some printer ink.

Lka83 is offline Junior Member Newbie

While we're talking about Wish Lists, I would LOVE for each lesson to give kids the choice of reading it themselves or having it read to them. There are some lessons that my son has had to listen to it read aloud, and it drives him nuts that he can't just read it himself.

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

I would like a "review unit" at the end of Science and Social Studies Chapters (upper grades), that we could go through before the Chapter Tests. We learned on accident that we really need to take and keep notes throughout an entire chapter in these 2 subjects particularly. Even with notes, the review would be nice. Something for the kids to actually study the day before a test.

"Friendly" printing of pages would also be nice. We print out various pages with questions and all the quizzes now (after completed) but you get the extra bars and images you don't need on many of them. Just a waste of ink and paper with some of it. In some cases, we are able to highlight and just print the selection, but this doesn't always work. It would be much easier to have a simple "printer friendly" button to click on that eliminates the unnecessary.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast