Need Help with Sound
    CindyTenn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Need Help with Sound

I started my son on his lessons yesterday, but we ran into a roadblock when we got to Science. Dylan isn't able to read yet (he's autistic and delayed in this area), so he wasn't able to even start on the first lesson unless I read it to him. I thought there was supposed to be a feature that allowed the system to read out loud. The Help feature says something about downloading a Microsoft agent, and there's supposed to be a speaker symbol I can turn on, but there wasn't anything like that after I downloaded the agent. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

While within a lesson activity, you should see a microphone icon at the upper, right-hand corner of the screen. Clicking on it will allow you to download the necessary software. Once this has been done successfully, clicking on the microphone causes Peedy the Parrot to appear. Your child drags Peedy next to the text he wants read. Clicking on the text will cause Peedy to read it aloud.

Help with Peedy:

http://www.time4learning.com/hints/Hints_MS_Agent.shtml

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

CindyTenn is offline Junior Member Newbie

There is no speaker icon anywhere in his science lessons. I'm beyond frustrated right now. I'm a computer professional by day, and I like to think I know what I'm doing. lol However, this thing is nowhere in sight! And I downloaded that Windows XP add-in that it said I needed before I could install Peety. But that speaker is nowhere to be found.

MarilynM is offline Junior Member Newbie

Could it be a browser issue? I'm a Firefox user due to security issues with IE. I can't see the speaker in FireFox, but just assumed that it was the K-1 level and everything is read at that point. My son will need this feature in the future and I was going to download it a few weeks ago to experiment. I couldn't locate the speaker and thought that it was either FireFox or the level situation.

I am having IE problems on all three of our computers--one has not even been updated to the new version. Today I cannot even log-in to ds's account with IE. The IE window just disappears! I receive the typical error message that I've been receiving when I "x" out of an IE window. I can log-in to the forum or other sites, so browsers can be problematic.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Cindy and I have been in contact with each other via email concerning this issue. I didn't realize her son was working at one of the lower grade levels. Peedy the Parrot only works at grade three and above. He will not work with Flash movies, which is how science and social studies are set up in the lower grades. You will not see the speaker icon on lessons below grade three.

Grades K and 1 have audio built into the Flash movies. Grade 2 science does not have audio and must be read aloud to students who are unable to read. There are only 13 activities, so it's a short-term situation.

I have experimented with various text readers, and none will work with Flash movies.

This text reader will work with the quiz/test portions only, if your student is able to highlight the text that he needs to have read aloud: http://www.naturalreaders.com/ The free version has a robotic-sounding voice (but so does Peedy the Parrot).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MarilynM is offline Junior Member Newbie

That's good to know. You answered some questions for me and I'll bookmark the link, too! I keep trying to see how certain features or the program will benefit my son in the feature. Thanks!