New & 1st Grade Math ?
    crazykymom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New & 1st Grade Math ?

Hi Everyone! Newbie here. Been HS for about a year. Son is 7-1st grade. We have only been using T4L about a month. My guy has some challenges for school (ADHD, a few other ABC's. lol). Anyways...T4L has been great so far. He asks to do more work every night before bed. My question involves the math. He had been doing great, but now...things are a little harder for him. He seems confused by their different methods of teaching double digit addition. He's totally lost. lol I'm not sure what to do....is there something I can supplement with? Should I take him back to K level? What should I do?? I don't want to keep pushing forward endlessly when I know he needs more help. I DO sit with him through every lesson and we do problems on our chalkboard desktop as the lesson is going. I'm not sure that's enough. Any thoughts or advice? He is advanced in every other subject. Thanks!
    Pam

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Are you using the worksheets? I found them essential for my kids with math.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yes I am. He's still struggling. I did find some other worksheets from a random math book I have here. I guess I will try those too.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

My kids have picked up some concepts easily, and struggled with others. When we get to something they find difficult, I do just as you are doing: stop and practice before moving on. That's hard to do if you put a lot of effort into your lesson plans and your child isn't learning according to your schedule, but it's one of the great things about homeschooling.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

My daughter needed the explanation of units, tens, and hundreds places. She is very visual and hands on. She learned to add double digits while counting money and counting by units. She did get curious about multiplication before learning how to add double digits and knew it was the same number adding to itself. When we got into double digits we practiced which numbers added to ten. I then explained how those unit numbers added together automatically made a dime or tens place.

A good tip just for your own research it gives really good math teaching examples is to watch the Math U See demos. I have not ordered there program but I did love the demo because I learned a lot from it. I think that is because I am a visual learner.
    Your childs learning style is EXTREMELY important when it comes to math. Find out what the learning style is and research how to teach math in the style for your child in areas they are having complications.
    If your child is hands on you will need things to represent units and other figures to touch and move ( abacus, money, blocks)
    If your child is listening find out if your library had the math music CDs
    Visual-should have no probs with video or game learning
    memorization- flash cards, leap frog math, calculators

P.s. my daughter had problems the first years with math. Then I started telling her how she needed it and I that it was very easy because once you know it it never changes. It always repeats itself. When I explained everything she would need it for she started to see joy in it and advanced rapidly in it and now wants to know all math by the end of the year. :P HAHA I know that will not work for every kid out there but it worked for her and I remember when my dad told me something similiar and I was doing 4th grade math and jumped to 6th grade in months and high school well I skipped math classes and still passed. All I needed was to see it was ok to love math.
    Last edited by Brook Simmons; 03-08-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Yes thank you. It's the ones and tens units that he is struggling with. We are using big lego blocks (duplos I guess) trying to teach him in a hands on type way. It's like we work through some of it one day, I *think* he gets it...then the next day it's like it's poof-gone out of his head. He does have some ADHD "stuff" too that we are dealing with. lol I know that complicates things. I'm struggling...because math isn't my thing. Never has been. lol I'm trying to figure out what to do here...and I'm already thinking -my gosh...if I can't help him understand this...what will algebra be like?