New and Confused
    outlawmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New and Confused

Hello, my name is Michele and oh so new to homeschooling. So basically... HELP! My son will be turning 8 in January and is sooo behind the curve, its not funny. We had sooo much sucess with our daughter, now 20, in public school that we chose to place our son in private school which started out fine for preschool but the next year there turned out to be more of a daycare! Needless to say, we, voted ME, are trying our hand at homeschooling, which has been rocky, due to a lack of disipline in my day to day scheduling. Luckily he catches on quickly and a friend referred me to T4L. @ problems I've run into with this; he was placed in pre k 1 which is fine, but do the pre k classes NOT have the backback to check on your childs progress as the higher grades? And we started today, and we both love it, but not all the "boxes" are being checked off. Are we only suppose to do do one "box" of activities at a time? Thank you sooo much for listening, sure helps!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New and Confused

Quote Originally Posted by outlawmom
    do the pre k classes NOT have the backback to check on your childs progress as the higher grades? And we started today, and we both love it, but not all the "boxes" are being checked off.
    Hi, Michele. Look to the left of the screen where your son's "boxes" appear. You will see a link that says "Hints and Help". Inside is information on what it takes to get each activity type checked off. Once all of the activities within a box are checked off, then the box will be checked off.

For preschoolers, I usually suggest one box ("theme") per WEEK, with the activities being done several times and lots of offline activities to supplement. Your son is older, so he might not need as much repetition and you can allow him to proceed as quickly as you feel he can go and still benefit from the lessons.

I think "backback" must be a typo, and I wonder if you mean "feedback"? If that's the case, look right above the "Hints and Help" link mentioned above and there is one called "Reports". At this point, the reports show how many times each activity was started, how many times it was completed, and the last time the activity was accessed. Time4Learning preschool is brand new, replacing an obsolete preschool program, so the reports are still being designed. More specifics will be added soon.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Happy to have you aboard!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Lisa's7 is offline Member

Do you mean backpack?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Oh, I'll bet that IS what she means! If so, the same info applies. There's a link instead of a backpack icon. There were icons at first, but students were getting confused and clicking on them, so they were changed to links.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!