New here

Thread: New here

Chris is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here

Hello,
    I'm the mom of a profoundly gifted child, 11-year-old DD, and we are thinking about using Science, Social Studies and some Language Arts of this program to supplement our home school starting this fall. We are accidental homeschoolers being forced to homeschool due to the inability/unwillingness of our local public school to meet my daughter's special educational needs. This is our second year of homeschooling and we are now very happy about our choice to homeschool.
    Best,
    Christiane

shmoomama is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi there! This program has been a great addition to my EG/PG dd's school time. Nice to know you are here!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Chris. Welcome!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

We have an almost 10 yo pg and 2E daughter that has been using this curriciulum. It's been great! She particularly likes the Language arts and math lessons as they are much more often animated and interactive. Currently she is using epgy's math but that ends this month so she'll be using T4L as her core for math as well. She loves being able to move at her own pace and often does learning activities simply because the topic interests her.

One note I would like to make sure you understand is the science and social studies is not as animated or interactive for the 4th grade and up. There are several places for students to respond on the computer and my daughter is often printing out experiments or sheets to work on offline. She is engaged but she does prefer the language and math lessons. Says they're more fun to watch and do.

One thing that does help my daughter is Peety Parrot. I think it sounds so robotic but there are days she just doesn't feel like reading pages on a screen. For those times, she prefers to turn on Peety and listen and read along.

All that being said, we are planning on using T4L as our core for math, social studies and mostly for language arts. I tend to never be able to use just ONE curriculum so we supplement math with Singapore challenging word problem workbooks, Zaccaro's Challenge Math series and out-of-print math texts from Suppes (the texts are the basis for the epgy distance learning courses up to 8th grade). For Language arts we also use a few literature study guides from Total Language plus and will do all of the language learning activities in T4L except for two of the book studies. For social studies we'll just read lots of books to flesh and round out the history already provided in T4L.

This is our seventh year homeschooling and on one hand I'm thrilled to have found T4L and so sad I didn't find it sooner! Our dd's older brother is also pg and T4L would have been super when he was younger (he's now into high school and college courses). My only worry with pg kids is they can move so quickly though materials I wish there something like T4L for high school courses (that was reasonably priced!). The closest I've found is Thinkwell. Actually Compass Learning also provides a high school online program utilizing Thinkwell's products. www.clodysseyhighschool.com/login.aspx but I haven't found a way for homeschoolers to have access to all the products. If anyone knows how, please share! It would be a load off my mind to know there was somewhere for dd to move into once she finishes T4L.

Blessings and welcome!
    Adele
    [email protected]

I highly recommend T4L for just about any kid but I think it's an especially good fit for gt ones.

Chris is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here

Thanks for the warm welcome . I'm really looking forward to using this curriculum. We have been using EPGY's Math and Writing Courses last school year and are going to continue with it this fall. DD loves the writing courses but struggled with EPGY Math. Math is not her strength (Language Arts/Writing is). I don't know if I should include T4L Math in DD's curriculum in addition to EPGY Math because I'm concerned that this would confuse her. Although we love homeschooling for now, I do hope that DD will be able to attend high school one day (only of course if we find one that can meet her special educational needs) so she can participate in extracurricular activities. Did anybody encounter problems enrolling a homeschooled DD or DS in a high school or getting a high school acknowledge/accept DD's or DS's homeschool courses in general (regardless if those courses were accredited courses or not)?
    Chris
    ([email protected])

BielHomeschoolMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

even though my kids are only 10 and 7, I too would be interested in something like Time4Learning but for high school. I am trying to think ahead about what they will need in the future. Maybe by the time my kids are ready Compass Learning or Time4Learning will have a high school curriculum offered to homeschoolers.

Jenny

adelenpaul is offline Member Regular

Did anybody encounter problems enrolling a homeschooled DD or DS in a high school or getting a high school acknowledge/accept DD's or DS's homeschool courses in general (regardless if those courses were accredited courses or not)?

Actually after being homeschooled for five years, last year and this year my son took classes part-time at the local gifted magnet high school. They are very open, supportive and knowledgeable of gt kids (yes, I know it's rare and I really appreciate it!). We went to talk with them a couple of years before he actually started going. We wanted to get an idea of what our options were. Turned out they were very open to having him come whenever.

Having supporting documentation did help. He had the transcripts from epgy's math courses (LOVE them, just wish they weren't so darn expensive!), Explore testing (took as a 4th and 5th grader. It's a test normed for 8th graders so the out of level testing gave one more piece of evidence he could do the work) and ITBS. He had also been working through some algebra 1 and 2 materials so I had the tests and materials from that as to show his work. In the end, they did their own placement testing. But all the pieces fit together to give them confidence he was capable and ready.

We had a very different experience when talking with administrators at "regular" schools. They did not get it. Did not know what to do with the epgy transcripts and said he was going to have to do their accelerated 5/6 math anyway. This would have been torture for a kid that had already completed alg 2. In recently talking with a high school counselor we had some of the same experiences. Ds is going to be enrolling full-time at the local high school but is still able to take the majority of his classes at the gt magnet high school so it will be a good fit, we hope! Anyway, the counselor didn't know what to do with an incoming freshman that would already have 4 years of high school math, 2 of science, history and English. And that wasn't even including the courses he had done at home. That would have been a difficult sell, I think.

the problem isn't that he wouldn't be allowed to attend. The issue would be getting him appropriately placed. Without counselors, administrators, gt policies in place, and teachers that understand and support, it can be a battle! Not to be discouraging but just go in with your eyes open.

There are quite a few states that have a PSEOA options (Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Act. http://www.iastate.edu/~registrar/info/ps-resp.html. This was sent by an administrator from our state so obviously you'd need to find the info for your state but thought it would give you an idea) and it would be good to get educated before you talk with administrators. This option allows gt students to take college level courses and have them paid for by the school. Even though my son is taking courses 2-4 years advanced, he is still a technical 8th grader. We have chosen to not advance his grade number so long as he is given work suitable for his academic needs. By keeping him in the "system" we ensure he has a full four years of time to take these college courses and have access to the program.

He is in many ways a very typical kid (okay, I think he's really pretty incredible but I was referring to socially). He just auditioned this afternoon for the jazz band next (for next year as a freshman) and hopes to make the golf team as well. He is looking forward to this new step although I admit to being sad about our homeschooling time coming to a close. It went soo fast but was such a blessing.

Sorry this was so long. Feel free to email me off board.

Blessings,
    Adele
    [email protected]

VAmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have a 6 year old who has been identified as gifted so I am very interested in learning the best ways to nourish his development. I am also new to the world of gifted & talented. In my school days, they just bumped us up a grade. Can someone help me with all the acronyms in this forum chain: DD, DS, EPGY, 2E, etc?

Thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

DD and DS are common Internet abbreviations for daughter and son (or "dear daughter" and "dear son").

EPGY is "Education Program for Gifted Youth".

2E means "Twice Exceptional". It means the child is both gifted AND has a learning disability.

Welcome to the forum!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!