New Here with a 5th grader in Richmond Virginia
    kristin255 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New Here with a 5th grader in Richmond Virginia

Hello to all, what a great forum! We just started using T4L last week. This our 1st year homeschooling and up until now we have been using Saxon for Math and Oak Meadow for everything else. When I realized that we were going to be out of math lessons by the 1st week of Apr. I started looking for an online suppliment and found this! I had originally planned on using it just to suppliment math and science. I found that he is responding well to the format and think we will use it for LA as well. Morgan is Dysgraphic and he had been struggling a bit with the grammar and writing lessons in OM's curriculum. There just wasn't enough reinforcement from lesson to lesson. So far this seems to be working well for him.
    My question is, does anyone know if there is a section on diagramming sentences? That was where we left off and I would like to continue in the same vein if possible.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Kristin. We're glad you found us!

Take a look at the Lesson Plans. Access the language arts lesson plans on any level from third grade and up. Look near the bottom at the language arts extensions. At most levels, you will find a section called "Grammar Extensions". See if any of the lesson activities look like something your student needs.

There is a number at the right of each lesson activity. Input the number of the lesson activity you are interested in as described here. You can preview the activity to determine suitability, but don't complete it if you don't want your preview to appear on your student's report. Click here to learn how to avoid completing the lesson.

Once you have determined which lesson activities you want your student to do, he can access them as described above and complete them. It's fine if he works on lessons from several grade levels. I have my kids do this, and just don't tell them it's a different level.

The grammar lessons do not specifically teach diagramming. There are several different ways to diagram a sentence, anyway, and you won't likely find it done the same way in every curriculum. Instead, the grammar lessons teach how to identify and use the parts of speech. That approach is usually more meaningful and practical for most students than the somewhat archaic exercise of diagramming.

I hope you find something that works for your son.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!