New here LOVE THIS but.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    blesedby7 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New here LOVE THIS but.....

I am a little disapointed in the science not reading to my child. My children are in 1st grade and 2nd and they don't read big words fluently. So when we got to the science they had to read it themselves to move through the lesson. I cought my son just flipping through and ignoring it.
    It was the lesson on relatives.

Any ideas for this or am I just expected to sit with them the whole way through.
    I love sitting with them for LA and Math to make sure they understand the concept but I have 7 children and it is hard to sit with each child for a whole school day.

I REALLY love this!!! It has been wonderful.

another question:

Is there any writing? I feel like I let my older kids down by not having them write enough and I don't want that for my younger ones.
    I want them to write. Do I need to use something else?

Thanks a million mamas

Michelle
    farm mama to 7 blessings and lots of farm critters

aryals is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: New here LOVE THIS but.....

Maybe you could just read the science lesson yourself and sum it up for them. They'd probably understand it better coming from you, anyway. Homeschool moms are awesome like that.

From what I gather, it would be hard to use this as a full curriculum. You almost have to throw in a few things of your own. Personally, I'm using this as a supplement for language arts and math. I have my son do the science and social studies as a bonus.

My monkey boy is really into science so I have him use Cosmeo. There are lots of videos about the science stuff kids really like and brain games and all of that. He loves the periodic table game. It explains all of the elements. He's an adorable little geek child.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning provides a complete language arts and math curriculum for grades K-8. Science and social studies are provided as a free bonus for most grades. The science and social studies for first and second graders are supplementary lessons and not intended to be a complete curriculum. I have my own kids do BOTH first and second grade science and social studies at the beginning and end of first and second grade. That way, they have gone through all the lessons four times before they start third grade! The first grade science lessons are read to the child.

For children this young, I love to just find picture books at the library and read to them . . . about George Washington, rocks, reptiles and amphibians, weather, the US flag, and so forth. I use this typical course of study as a guideline. (Remember that this is just "typical". Every similar list will be slightly different.) Sometimes I search online for a coloring page to go along with the topic of the book. I also use Brainpop Jr. This is all I do for my kids for science and social studies until third grade.

Writing: Yes! Story Creator lessons occur throughout the program. Be sure and print these. Your kids' first stories are terrific keepsakes! With Story Creator, your child first arranges images on the screen to make a scene and then he writes a story about it. A first grader might only be up to writing a few words or a sentence at first. That's a great start!

By third grade, students are using Odyssey Writer (an integrated word processing program) to write paragraphs and essays.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

kelly pretty much summed it up. but i will add this .. i'm only hsing my older child and we've only just started with the preschooler, so i don't do this, but i have a few friends with big families that have tried this:

they pick one study for social studies and one for science and she teaches the entire family the same subject, but the older kids have to do more work than the younger ones. for example: lets take george washington. they may study him for a week, and the little ones color pictures on him and read picture books, but the older ones have to do research papers. when she's teaching the subject to them, the little ones have been trained to sit and listen (same as they would if she were reading a story to them).

have you tried anything like that?

a lot of us here add extracurricular studies to what they're learning. this year we're adding spanish, latin, art history and social studies/science unit studies.

as far as writing goes, we do a journal every day. have you done that?
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I thought this was an excellent question as I know others have said the same thing. I also add picture books and we rent dvd's that talk about the world around them. Let us know how it's working
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

mom2ahrj is offline Member

i have a struggling reader who was getting frustrated and discouraged with all the reading she had to do for science and social studies - now she uses a program (free) called natural reader - i can't remember the actual website but if you google the name, i'm sure it will come up

hope that helps!

jenn

Kess is offline Member

Does Natural Reader actually read out loud the T4L social studies lesson to the child?

Kess

kess, you have to highlight the parts you want it to read, but, yes, it reads most of it - it will even read quiz questions - have to be careful about that - dd used it for a math quiz and it asked her was this symbol was >...needless to say, natural reader SAID the name of the symbol! lol! it only made me laugh though because i knew that she knew that symbol!

there is also another program called read please but we like natural reader better

jenn

Kess is offline Member

Jenn,

I downloaded the free version of Natural Reader and when my DD tried to use it in a T4L social studies lesson it wouldn't let her highlight any of the text. Are we doing something wrong? Or does it not work with social studies?

Kess

kess, i have no idea - we specifically use it for social studies and science - we got it because "peedy" would only read certain things and not everything - i have no idea why it isn't working for you guys - i'm so sorry!

wait, i'm trying to remember exactly how it works...okay, i opened it and used it just to refresh my memory - the program has a little "toolbar" that sits on top of your other windows - it looks like the buttons of an mp3 player - you have to highlight the text you want it to read THEN click on the "play" button - hope that helps!

jenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast